Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I was a victim of a Sociopath. He did such damage to my life,

Customer Question

I was a victim of a Sociopath. He did such damage to my life, I can't move passed it. How can I get help. I have read everything I can and have read meny blogs about Sociopaths.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through this. What kind of symptoms are you having from what you went through? Is the situation over and if so, is this person still in your life?

Thank you,
Kate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thank you. I am a male who was friends with another male. We worked at the same company. From when I can understand now, He did some kind of role playing game that went on for ten years. And during the years, people are to change their beliefs on life by experencing diffrent things. This so-called game is found in a book called games people play (Eric Bern) Over the ten years. I became very close with him and his family. We did everything together. He did con me into doing things about himself, which I did not realize. While he changed beliefs for himself.

I could go into great detail but that would take sometime. So let me say at the end of the ten years, I was forced out of the company, and left with out any possible employment. I did see what was happing at the end. I left the State and have no-contact with him. I have been unemployed for three years and I don't see this changing.( that was the way the co-called game was set up) I saw him as a great friend and the actions that he did is just unbelieveable.

I really believe he is a Sociopath and a Narcissist. I tryed to keep it short. The whole thing is on my mind every day. I get very depressed alot. I worry about the rest of my life and how I will end up.

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like you were horribly betrayed and as a result, your trust was taken and you were left with no job and no friendship. Even if this guy was a sociopath and narcissistic, you were friends with him and he led to believe he cared about you. You were also very close to his family as well. So you suffered the loss of all of these things when he betrayed you.

In order to cope with betrayal and loss, you need to allow yourself to mourn. You suffered multiple losses so it is going to cause symptoms like depression, worry and hopelessness. And while you try to cope and adjust to the loss, these feelings are normal. One of the most important things to do for yourself is to give yourself permission to feel these feelings. It can help you process them and work through them.

Because of the loss you have suffered, you may want to consider therapy. Talking to someone about what happened can help a lot. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

It may also be helpful to know that if you were dealing with a sociopath and narcissist, there was no way you would know what you were dealing with. Many people feel awful and blame themselves after finding out that they were taken or fooled. People with personality disorders and especially people like sociopaths are extremely good at manipulation and making things appear differently than they really are. Even professionals who are trained to spot manipulation can be fooled. So try not to blame yourself. You reacted just as anyone would have.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I do not remember if I did give you feed back about my problem. But It was helpful just to hear that someone understands. I do have the web address to see a therapist, which at this point I believe I need it. I also have your information, in case I would have another question. Or to help me sort out my feelings. Just to have someone who believes is great.

Thank you for the update! It's good that you are thinking about talking to a therapist. Therapy can help you work through the pain you feel as a result of what your friend did to you. And I would be happy to help you again if you have any more questions.

Take care,

Kate