Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience:  More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education

I suffer from Depression and I feel Im not getting anywhere

I suffer from Depression and I feel I'm not getting anywhere wit my Psychiatrist and their medication. I still feel unwell and feel there must be something better out there. What do u suggest I do?

Great question. I wish more people would be able to ask this type of question, as you are not alone in your frustration.

Depression comes in a variety of clinical expressions and diagnoses, but all forms of depression are biochemically unique to each person. And, many times, people who receive care for depression are not given the best practice methods to use for this illness.

What is best practice? Only about 60% (or less) of people who take medications alone for depression actually get better. To raise that to 80% + medications and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) must be combined. Few people recover with only medications.

Your prior medications are not only for depression but also for mood stabilization. This could indicate that at one point it was suspected that you had a bipolar disorder. Even if not, medications for depression are, even with all our science, still trial and error. If results are not seen in 4-8 weeks, a new medication is typically given as best protocol. This does not seem to have occurred with you in your treatment.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: If this was my own family member asking this question I would certainly recommend CBT therapy. I also would encourage seeing a new psychiatrist as the meds you are taking are somewhat "old school" and a number of the newer SSRI's (which I would ask for and not trycyclics which are a very old class of medications) may work much, much better for you. Lyrica has been the subject of false claim investigations as well. And, good news, there are other alternatives. Ask for a consideration for an SSRI or similar medication. I think you will be more likely to see an improvement. Steven