How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B , Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

last week i was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and was sent off with no information or support in a suicidal state. How can i come to terms with this diagnosis and can i complain about my treatment, is it advisable and is counselling the only treatment available to help me
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.


I'm sorry to hear of the situation, it sounds as though you have been really let down by the person you consulted with. You usually can lodge complaints regarding poor treatment, what kind of professional made the diagnosis? GP, Psychiatrist, Clinical Psychologist?

I'll wait for your response and then we begin to discuss the diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi, i don't know if its getting through. The person who diagnosed me was a psychiatrist, thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.

My aplogies for the slow reply, I had t leave my computer for a while.


If you wish to make a complaint then firstly you can complain to their employer, clinic or hospital. If the complaint is to report serious misconduct, you can complain to the General Medical Council (0845(NNN) NNN-NNNN. The last step for dealing with unresolved complaints is to contact the Health Service Ombudsman who acts as a final arbitrator.

It's unfortunate that nobody has taken the time to explain the diagnosis. Let me start of by making it clear that many, many people experience BPD type difficulties and many, many people have great success in using the right treatment approach. Before I launch into a long description of the diagnosis it might be best if you tell me what you know at this point about BPD so that I don't tell you things you already know.

What can you tell me about BPD?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done some reading and would have to agree that i fit many of the indicators for the condition, what ia am mainly concerned with is that because i now have thsi diagnosis i am afraid i will lose control and end up in trouble as i see there are many people with this in prison when they have actually asked for help. I am afraid of this, of admitting to the indicators i have and of what the future holds. i am afraid of losing control of my life. I know in theory some of the treatments available but have not been offered them, only counselling which i have had bad experiences of. From what i can see, any kind of therapy would involve delving into my childhood etc which i am reluctant to do as it is very painful and i am afraid i would not deal with it.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information. Have you done any reading on Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)? DBT is the recommended treatment for BPD and doesn't typically delve into past events in great detail (if at all). DBT is very much present focused and concentrates on developing skills in distress tolerance, emotional regulation and interpersonal communication. Overall DBT aims to help people gain better control over the emotional experiences and expression.

You are right ti noting that there are people in prison with BPD but there is a far greater number with BPD who never go to prison or get in trouble with the law at all. Nearly every Psychiatric diagnostic category is over-represented in the prison population and this is because offenders tend to have very high rates of mental health problems. There is a correlation between mental health difficulty and offending but it is small (meaning that people with mental health problems in general have a slightly higher rate of offending). If you've managed to stay out of trouble for 35 years receiving a diagnosis doesn't now put you at a greater risk of landing in jail.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou, that is reassuring. are there things i can do to help myself?
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.

Yes there is.

Start by taking a look at this excellent self-program for improving emotion regulation here It's the workbook titled 'Facing Your Feelings'. It's completely free and offers very practical guidance on how to begin to manage intense emotion in a more effective way. I notice that the link appears not to be working at the moment but I expect it will be fixed shortly.

There are also a number of books that could assist you to learn Dialectical skills at home and to generally manage typical BPD problem areas. If you are interested in doing some further reading I can recommend both this book here and this book here .

If you do decide at some point to get some profesisonal help then you can contact The British Psychological Society here for assistance with finding a DBT trained Psychologist in your local area. The NHS covers sessions with a Psychologist in many circumstances and you can begin to check this option here. Also, take a look at an article published by the American Psychology Association here. It's an interview with a senior Psychologist and covers some of the things you should consider when you looking for a Psychologist.

I hope this has been of some help. If you have further questios or would like me to clarify or elaborate on any part of my answer please let me know. If not......I wish you the best of luck!

Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience: PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr John B replied 4 years ago.

I hope you have found some of the DBT self-help material I referred you to helpful. If I can ever be of further assistance on this matter or if you have additional questions please don't hesitate to contact me directly.



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
< Previous | Next >
  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
  • I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information and confirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for the examination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you as well! Claudia Albuquerque, NM
  • Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion. Kevin Beaverton, OR
  • Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor's appointment next week.
    I feel better already! Thank you.
    Elanor Tracy, CA
  • Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem. Julie Lockesburg, AR
  • You have been more help than you know. I seriously don't know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions. John and Stefanie Tucson, AZ
  • I have been dealing with an extremely serious health crisis for over three years, and one your physicians asked me more questions, gave me more answers and encouragement than a dozen different doctors who have been treating me!! Janet V Phoenix, AZ

Meet The Experts:

  • Dr. Keane

    Dr. Keane


    Satisfied Customers:

    Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
< Last | Next >
  • Dr. Keane's Avatar

    Dr. Keane


    Satisfied Customers:

    Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
  • Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC's Avatar

    Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
  • Dr. Olsen's Avatar

    Dr. Olsen


    Satisfied Customers:

    PsyD Psychologist
  • Norman M.'s Avatar

    Norman M.

    Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA

    Satisfied Customers:

    ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
  • Dr. Michael's Avatar

    Dr. Michael


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist


    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Steven Olsen's Avatar

    Steven Olsen


    Satisfied Customers:

    More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education

Related Mental Health Questions