DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.

emdr expert please

emdr expert please

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

I underwent the EMDR training and use EMDR for PTSD, so I can answer your questions.

I will give you a little bit of general information, and when you come back you can follow up with your specific questions. As you probably know, EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. When a person has PTSD, the effects of the trauma are stored in the brain with all of the original images, emotions, body sensations and thoughts that occured at the time the trauma occured and therefore the trauma can seem like it just "happened yesterday," even if it's been years. The EMDR helps "process" through those events so that they are not as vivid and disturbing.

One aspect of EMDR that I really like is the fact that the client maintains what they call "Dual Awareness," meaning that while you do have to "visit," the trauma and disturbing experiences, you keenly maintain present day awareness, of the room, the therapist, the fact that the trauma happened "in the past," and that you are "safe and present here."

This is not as true for some other methods, including Trauma Focussed CBT where you "desensitize" yourself to the trauma by immersing yourself in it. With EMDR you do NOT immerse yourself, rather, you go there "just long enough to get the job done."

During an EMDR session you are stimulating both sides of the brain (bilateral stimulation) either visually by looking at a light bar or the therapist's hand moving back and forth. Other methods include tapping on the knees, or holding tappers in your hands, or wearing headphones and listening to tones in alternating ears.

You start with an image, do a set, and tell the therapist what comes up for you --a session may consist of anywhere between 6 (or fewer) sets and up to 20-25 sets (give or take a few).

Before undergoing EMDR, the therapist will work with you on grounding techniques, relaxation, and containing techniques so that you do not have to become overwhelmed by addressing the trauma.

I'll stop there --please ask your specific questions and I will address those ---

I see you've asked this question before -- but then did not follow up with me --what kind of information are you looking for? I can most likely answer any question you have, and if I can't I will opt-out for someone else to answer.

Thank you ---

Dr Fee

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can we talk please?
I'm sorry I was on vacation. I think you may need to post a new question in order for us to chat live. You can put my name in the subject line.