Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling

I have noticed, for the past several years, I have mood swings

I have noticed, for the past several years, I have mood swings and attacks of anxiety every few weeks and lash out at the people around me uncontrollably. I have unstable relationships with almost all my friends and I impulsively self destruct, what on earth is this
Hi there,

Thanks for your question, I'm happy to help you today.

The only way to know what is going on with certainty is to have an in-person evaluation by a psychiatrist, who can provide you with a proper diagnosis and discuss your treatment options. But what you're describing sounds like it could be one of two things.
One - mood swings, anxiety, self-destructive behaviors and unstable relationships with friends and family are very common symptoms of bipolar disorder. The main feature of bipolar disorder is mood swings (ranging from manic to depressive episodes). You can read more about this disorder here - as well as learn about treatments (including medications and psychotherapy) and more about the specific symptoms:

The other possibility is that you have borderline personality disorder. This disorder is also characterized by instability in personal relationships, excessive, irrational displays of anger, anxiety, self-destructive behaviors and other symptoms that can significantly interfere with your well-being and ability to function - you don't feel like you have a "normal" life. You can read more about borderline personality disorder in this article from the Mayo Clinic (also see the side bars for detailed information on symptoms, treatments, causes and risk factors):

I would encourage you to see professional help - it can be hard to self-diagnose your symptoms just from reading information online. If you'd like to find a mental health professional in your area, you can try the search function on the Australia Counselling Association's website (under where it says "find a registered counsellor:

I hope this helps, and I wish you luck. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you would like to discuss this further.