Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.

how bad can anxiety be? Can you read peoples reactions wrong?

how bad can anxiety be? Can you read people's reactions wrong? And read meanings into anything

Can your provide a little more information? What do you mean by reading people's reactions wrong?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my last working environment in short i become conscious of my scent. I went to the Gp's he could not detect anything. My family cannot detect an odor nor can I. However I read up on a condition called Tmau, fish odor and apparently people who have that condition cannot smell themselves. So when I am out now i try and see by other peoples reaction if i smell or not and sometimes i dont know if i am reading things wrong

Hi, thanks for the extra information.

When you consulted with the doctor, spoke with family and were reassured there was no odor did this bring you relief or did your worry/concern/anxiety persist?

How is your anxiety generally?

Have you previously had experiences where you became very concerned about something that other people think you shouldn't worry about?

How is your anxiety in social situations in general?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes i do worry and people have said i worry too much.

I was ok in social situations prior to this last workplace. I have never liked presentations as i can be shy and i use to hate people staring at me
Can you give me some examples of the kinds of things you worry about and the kind of situations in which worrying becomes a problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing serious prior to this work issue, I had no worries.

However now as i am conscious of my scent, i dont want to go out as i am worried i may smell and hate stigma with that. So i try to avoid going out. If I do go out. I look at people's reactions to see whether they detect an odor. I have become paranoid on this issue now

Ok. Thanks for the extra information.

Anxiety can definitely distort your perceptions of the things around you. Anxiety can make us hypersensitive to certain things, make us paranoid, obsessed and even psychotic in extreme circumstances.

It certainly sounds like your anxiety has developed to a stage where it is problematic and it would be quite common for it to be impacting upon how you read other peoples' behavior.

As this sounds like it is now impacting upon you r life have you considered getting some professional help? Anxiety related problems usually respond really well to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I have considered it and I have contacted someone.

Thank you for your help
Ok, that is the right thing to do at this point. If there is any other information you require or if I have not satisfied your question in any way play let me know now and I will happily respond. If I have satisfied your question and require no further assistance from me then I would wish you the best of luck and kindly ask that you accept my answer.

I just wanted to check in and see if you had been able to get any assistance with your concerns about your body odour. If I can be of any further help or if you ever have others questions please don't hesitate to contact me.