Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Dear Dr. Keane, Is this a healthy task to be doing? I have

Dear Dr. Keane, Is this a healthy task to be doing? I have been sorting out old photos and inevitably came across quite a few of when I was with my ex-boyfriend. I only really kept them because my parents wanted me to because he was part of my life and it was a stage in my life. I have now started to get throw some out, well tearing some up to be precise. I feel they’ve been cluttering up my photo box for long enough. I haven’t finished doing this yet because I had other things planned and not got back to it and then I started to wonder whether it was healthy or not. They aren’t photos I can imagine me regretting getting rid of later, I am fairly sure of that and I don’t particularly look at them as they are a source of hurt. Also a few days ago I saw my ex-boyfriend at church. He doesn’t normally attend the same one anymore, so I was a little bit taken aback. At the end of the service when everyone socialises I got on with talking to who I wanted to converse with, ignoring him. I was still obviously very aware he was around having conversations with other people but tried to carry on as normal and tried really hard not to let it affect me. I think it did affect me a little but not enough to stop me from making weekend plans with a new friend I’ve made. It wasn’t until last night I unexpectedly started to have a weird mixed up dream/nightmare (possibly to do with sheer tiredness part due to medication and time I woke up, otherwise sleeping well), about it all but used the Stop Technique and that seemed to have worked. Do you think I handled this okay? I’d be interested in your thoughts. Sorry to have missed you the other day. I see you checked in. I had a nice but unexpected visitor. I hope you are having a great time with your family!!!

Dr.Keane :

Hi, sorting out "old" photos...of course it's healthy to get rid of them. That part of your life is over and it puzzles me why your parents would want you to hold onto them. You are old enough to decide what you want to keep. It's normal to feel. the way you did after church, the awareness of his presence, but you handled it very well! Sounds like you are doing just fine. Keep up the good work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for still being so supportive.
Hi, saw another post from you but not can't find it, about the medication and being positive about it, if you feel better (which you say you do) then wait a few months and then re-evaluate. You know what you need, this has helped so why worry?