Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I am wondering why I am so angry and hate everything all the

I am wondering why I am so angry and hate everything all the time. I treat my girlfriend really bad sometimes. I yell at my kids, I snap over stupid things. I just want to run away as far as I can go and keep going. I feel like im fighting a unbeatable fight , I feel sick all the time I have headaches pretty much every day. I feel like I'm running out of options. I hate feeling this way. I'm getting angry just writing this. Please help me I'm so done with this.
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
It sounds like you have had anger issues lately.
You may have symptoms of depression as anger is a common symptom of depression.
I also wonder if you are in midlife crisis as may people may go through midlife crisis around age 45-64.
I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and anger. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression and anger.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your city in Canada and optional category of specialty such as Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for men in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for herself, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for men. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/find_support_group) - Find a group in your area.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Try to have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.
Set limits on the amount of time you spend on the internet to avoid information overload.

I hope you get well with all available help.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Hi there
If found you are 29 year-old. Well, you are not in midlife crisis.
But, you are in crisis.
You can still use what I wrote previously.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Growing up as a kid at the age of 13 I was diagnosed with having ADHD. I took prescrition drug medication for about 2 years but discontinued taking it on my own cause it made feel almost depressed and withdrawn. I switched to smoking marijuana for the last 12 years and I thought it helped me out a lot but I realized that it was taking over my life so I quit that a couple years ago. Do you think that the ADHD or the smoking marijuana have an effect on my behavior.
Hi there, Thank you for your reply. Yes, I think smoking marijuana may worsen depression in you. A number of studies show that Marijuana may cause and worsen depression in people. For example, take a look at the link - http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/mind_brain/marijuana/ Also, people with ADD/ADHD usually have symptoms of depression and anxiety. So, it's best for you not to use marijuana for relaxation. I know you quit smoking marijuana.
Hi there