TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have previously had depression, which started as pnd but

I have previously had depression, which started as pnd but has since recurred. I have been well for the past two years but in the last couple of months have been feeling quite down again. I am often tired and listless, and quite emotional. However, when things go well I feel quite euphoric but this feeling doesn't last for long and afterwards I feel even more down.
I recently had a hyterectomy too and wondered if this could be hormonal changes or a recurrence of my depression. (I'm 32)
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your symptoms could be one of two things- either this is hormonal and you are suffering from early menopause due to your hysterectomy or this could be depression, possibly Bipolar.

Because you are experiencing depression then euphoria, then Bipolar is a possibility. You are only describing two symptoms so it's not clear if you really do have it. But an evaluation by a therapist or psychiatrist would help to clarify either way. You can also see if you fit any of the other symptoms of Bipolar. Here is a link to help:

But before you consider a mental health issue like Bipolar or depression, you may want to see your doctor to rule out hormonal issues. It is very common to experience ups and downs with hormonal changes after pregnancy and hysterectomies. Your recent surgery could easily explain why you feel as you do. So rule hormonal issues out first then consider emotional disorders secondly.

I hope this has helped you,

If you're satisfied with my response, please rate me highly. If you're not yet satisfied, please reply to me. We'll be able to continue working on your issue. Thanks!