Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.

Is it possible for dyslexia and autism to be combined with

Is it possible for dyslexia and autism to be combined with a greatness in fields such as constructural engineering, when this person communicates in his/her own way a willingness and a need to be loved?

In a nutshell - yes! It is entirely possible to suffer from dyslexia or autism or a degree of both and be very successful or highly skilled in a specific vocational field. Dyslexia & autism like most psychiatric illnesses tend to occur along a continuum so there is huge variation in how any one individual person experiences either (or both) of those illnesses. Dyslexia typically involves a disturbance of learning proceses but this does not in any way mean a person cannot learn....they jut learn in a different way. Autism usually involvess (amongst other things) a disturbance of communication skills, but again this does not mean a person cannot communicate.

Just to check, is it possible that it is Aspergers & Dyslexia rather then Autism & Dyslexia? Autism & Asperger's are related but Asperger's is usually limited to a disturbance of social skills. Asperger's individuals are often highly skilled in specific vocational areas but struggle with interpersonal relationships & social communication skills. The combination of Aspergr's, Dyslexia & vocational excellenec is probably more common than the combination of Autism, Dyslexia & vocational excellence.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr John B

Yes, it may be Aspergers, as there was also a history of this in my late husband's family, so I recognise some of the traits there. I will certainly do whatever I can to make him feel comfortable as I realise how difficult social skills can be for persons with this life situation.

Thank you so much Dr John, with your assistance with this.

I'm glad I could be of some help. If you have further questions or would like me to elaborate on any part of my answer please let me know. Best of luck!

Was my answer helpful? If so, please select accept. If not, let me know and I'll opt out and open the question to the other experts.