Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

chewing I can not stop, chew constantly

chewing I can not stop doctor stopped my dose of seroquel but I still chew constantly I do not even realize that I'm doing it

This has been going on for months now

Dr_Anderson :

Greetings, and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear you are going through such distress! To help me provide the best answer possible, am I correct in presuming the chewing problem was not present before the Seroquel? Does the chewing motion, when you look in the mirror, kind of look like you are trying to "pucker up" as if trying to kiss something/someone or spit something out?

Dr_Anderson :

If this sounds correct, and if you were on antipsychotic medications like Seroquel for at least several weeks or more, it is possible that you have a movement disorder known as tardive dyskinesia.

Dr_Anderson :

Tardive dyskinesia, or TD, is a known possible side effect of antipsychotic medications. Older ones, like Haldol, had a very high risk for it. Newer ones, like Seroquel, have a much lower risk, but one nonetheless.

Dr_Anderson :

Sometimes TD can come on when a person has been on an antipsychotic for a long time. Stopping the medication in question can help it improve, but in some cases it may become permanent. (Of note, I had 2 patients who experienced TD from Abilify - the medication was stopped; 1 person made a 100% recovery, the other nearly 100%.)

Dr_Anderson :

Other times, sudden cessation of the medication or a large reduction in dose can precipitate the symptoms; resuming the medication at a higher dose can resolve that.

Dr_Anderson :

There really is no "cure" for TD other than time. Sometimes medications like Ativan, Cogentin, Artane, and Benadryl are used, but their success in helping is limited. However, as noted above, it is quite possible it will go away or improve over the next several weeks to months, presuming all antipsychotic medication is stopped.

Dr_Anderson :

I hope this provides you with some useful information! Please let me know if I may be of further service or if you have more questions.

Dr_Anderson :

Regards,

Dr_Anderson :

Dr. Anderson

Customer:

:/ Poor service

Customer:

I also still take seroquel XR 200 mg is that possible why it has not stopped?

Dr_Anderson :

Greetings,

Dr_Anderson :

Given the very detailed answer provided above to your question, can you please expand on why you feel the service is poor?

Dr_Anderson :

In answer to your other question, yes, that could very well be the reason - you are still on an antipsychotic medication, the Seroquel, and TD can result from long-term use of antipsychotic medications.

Dr_Anderson :

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please do not rate this until you have had your question answered to your need!

Dr_Anderson :

Regards,

Dr_Anderson :

Dr. Anderson

Greetings! Did you see my most recent reply?

Regards,

Dr. Anderson