Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

I have a 14 year old son on Zoloft 200mg daily. It no longer

I have a 14 year old son on Zoloft 200mg daily. It no longer seems to be working any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. In order to best help you, what is the Zoloft being used for (mood disorder, such as depression, anxiety, OCD)? Is it the only medicine of its type that has been used? Do you feel that his Concerta is "optimal" and working well for what it is supposed to be doing? Finally, how long has he been on the 200 mg of Zoloft?
Dr_Anderson : I look forward to assisting you!
Customer:

He is on zoloft for anxiety and has been on concerta for a month. I am not sold on the concerta and he is very strong willed and doesnt want to be on so many meds and resists taking it as well. He has been on 200mg for about 2 months and on zoloft for about a year and a half.

Dr_Anderson : Thank you for the follow-on information. Zoloft does tend to be activating for some, so in some teens it can actually make the anxiety worse; add to that the Concerta, especially if the diagnosis of ADHD is in doubt, and you have even more activation. Since the main issue is anxiety, medications I typically prefer include Paxil, Prozac, or Lexapro for teens. He has been on the Zoloft 200 mg a good enough time, so consideration of a cross-taper from Zoloft to one of the meds I listed above would be quite reasonable.
Dr_Anderson : Also, I'd probably hold on the Concerta until it is is proven that it is needed - if we want to help ensure compliance in this young man, perhaps moving back to one medicine and seeing how it works by itself is a way to win his confidence.
Customer:

That is also how I feel and just wanted some reassurance before contacting his physician. Will there be a long period of crossover between the two meds?

Dr_Anderson : Not too long - a period of weeks, typically.
Customer:

Thank you for your time and help.

Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist