DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.

Who do you see about a phobia going over bridges?

Who do you see about a phobia going over bridges? Certain bridge that go straight up fell like a roller coaster if there is construction exsample the reconstruction of the Manahawakin Bay Bridge there is two lanes one is gone I can see water I lose control of my throttle leg and  the Delaware Memorial Bridge I cannot face.
Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

You want to see a therapist who specializes in treating anxiety. Although it's very scary to have this phobia, you can overcome it with some good help.

A good place to look for a therapist who treats anxiety is at the National Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) website:

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)is a very effective therapy for phobias. You can read about it here and here

An anxiety specialist will help you understand what anxiety is from a physiological perspective (body warning you that danger is present), what things trigger it (body sensations while going over bridges is common) and how to control anxiety (via thoughts, behavior).

This type of therapy helps you to get right to work on controlling anxiety (as opposed to traditional talk therapy where you are exploring a variety of topics.)

Medication is also an option, however, keep in mind that while highly effective, anti-anxiety medications do not cure anxiety, so they are not a long term solution.

I have 20+ years experience treating anxiety, so if you'd like me to elaborate on any of the topics I've brought up, please ask and I'll be happy to do so.

Dr Fee