Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

Long story short: I have a phobia of vomit, atleast thats

Long story short:
I have a phobia of vomit, atleast that's what we initially believed after a year of gastrointestinal tests came out all clear. Having pondered long on why, I've come to the conclusion that my irrational fear of vomit stems from a near death experience at the age of 4-5 I almost choked to death on a sucker. There's been many other fears throughout life after that even but, the fear of vomit stuck. It stuck for good when I was 14, in the gym at school after the summer holidays, I wasn't in shape and pushed myself, which caused me to vomit, that is when something clicked in my brain "what if i can't stop this? what if i can't get it out of my head", a week or so later i would throw up again, though this time for no apparent physical reason, I wasn't feeling ill or sick in any form or shape, however one thing was different, i was picturing how i threw up at the gym class earlier in the week, from that day on my life changed forever.

I don't vomit very often, but when I do, it's very vicious, it's never ending until I can get my head around. I will be so scared, it's just beyond comprehension just how painful it is. But I live daily feeling nauseous, and there are several times I'm close to vomiting.

What could this be? :/
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! I hope to be of some assistance to you here today; what you are describing sounds to be a combination of some obsessive thoughts and anxiety that were caused by a traumatic event of the past. There are plenty of ways to work it through, with something called cognitive-behavioral therapy. Have you spoken with a therapist yet about this issue?

Heidi LPC :

There is actually a name for this fear: emetophobia! Did you know that? So, you are not alone!

Customer:

Hi

Heidi LPC :

Hi!

Customer:

Yes (i dont have one now, a therapist that is), but we concluded that cognitive therapy might be not be useful i think

Customer:

ohh, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to check on that, i assume it's a fear of vomiting?

Heidi LPC :

Yes; here is one link to some information: http://www.ehow.com/how_7439298_overcome-fear-vomiting.html

Customer:

thank you

Heidi LPC :

Basically, as you said, it is an irrational fear you developed based on a traumatic episode in your past. The way around it is to begin thinking more rationally, learn why we vomit, and realize that you won't suffer any further humiliation as you are now old enough to manage your health.

Customer:

the big difference i notice real quick is that i can make myself sick and vomit so its just a vicious cycle because my fears are constantly being reconfirmed

Heidi LPC :

Anxiety and obsessive thoughts may be something you might want to speak with a therapist about; taking control over your thoughts, realizing that you can "change the channel" in your mind and affect your physiology may be helpful for you.

Customer:

right now i have no theraphist, but i will do that in the future thank you

Heidi LPC :

It can be overcome; trust me! The body needs to cleanse itself in a variety of ways, and this is simply just one way... but, no one really likes it!! :-)

Heidi LPC :

Sounds good! I hope this was helpful, and good luck as you work it through!!

Customer:

one quick question

Customer:

do you know anyone who specialize in treating the described?

Customer:

meh, dumb question, ill have to google a bit, thanks for help :)

Heidi LPC :

This is something that any therapist who is proficient in CBT, cogntive behavior therapy, will be successful in helping you with... it is similar to many different phobias, and this type of therapy works to change the thought patterns of fear and take control over them.

Customer:

i appreciate it, thanks :)

Heidi LPC :

No problem! I am happy to be of service! The web has a ton of info; searching now will help you to feel as if you are not alone, which you aren't!

Heidi LPC :

Good luck!!

Customer:
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor