Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I am looking for advice on wether I should see a psychiatrist

I am looking for advice on wether I should see a psychiatrist or not. I am an ER nurse, I have a 1 year old, father whom I am constantly worried about due to health issues and financial issues. I have a history of depression and am currently on medication but am finding myself with quite a bit of anxiety here in the past year. I have had a very eventful past 2 years that I feel have lead up to this increased anxiety. I have every reason in this workd to be happy and out going but I am worrying constantly and just feel very emotional and overwhelmed alot. Any advice??
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
How are your sleep and appetite lately?
Are you open to counseling?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I currently work 12 hour nightshifts 3 nights a week. so that plays into all of this as well I am sure. But normally find it very hard to go to sleep because that seems to be when I worry the most. I lay down and it is like my thoughts are going in a million different directions and I try to divert my attention to other things and breathe and it still just keeps racing. As far as appetite I am overweight but weight has been a struggle my whole life so I am not real sure anything has changed with my appetite really. I am open to counseling if it would help I just don't want to waste my time or money if there isn't really anything they can do except give me meds.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I can imagine how anxious and worried you may be feeling now.
It sounds like you have too much on your plate now. You have a 1 year old who constantly needs your care and attention. You are concerned about your child and father a lot. You work 12 hours 3 nights a week due to your ER job. It appears your anxiety has worsen lately as you are working too much and/or you have a lot of things on your mind.

Have you had a physical check-up lately?
If you are physically fine, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and anxiety. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for Anxiety.

The book The Relaxation & Stress Reduction workbook by Dr. Davis et al. may be useful for you to learn how to manage anxiety and stress better.

If you are open to counseling, you may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Anxiety. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or need a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Regarding pharmacological treatment for depression, a number of antidepressant medications are available to treat anxiety.
Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help reduce your anxiety.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Try to have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.

I hope you get well with all available help.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,