Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Can u explain codependency

Can u explain codependency
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
Codependency is an emotional and behavioral condition that adversely affects a person’s ability to have a healthy relationship. It is also considered as relationship addiction because people with codependency likely form or keep an one-sided, emotionally destructive and/or abusive relationship. Co-dependent behavior is learned by watching and imitating other family members (often a parent or parents) who display this behavior.
Please let me know if you have a question.
Best regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do I stop myself from going back to this destructive relationship
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
Okay. It sounds like you may have difficulty leaving this type of a relationship. I understand it can be challenging if you are in love with this person. I think you need a lot of support from a counselor in the process of freeing yourself from this addiction.
The book "Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself" by Melody Beattie may be educational and informative for you.
I would advise you to start working with a counselor/therapist specializing in relationship issues weekly.
Best regards,