TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

What does it mean if you hear your own thinking voice saying

What does it mean if you hear your own thinking voice saying horrible things to you? I don't hear other peoples voices or conversations. A lot of the time I hear my own voice saying taunting things to me - this almost always happens when I am stressed or anxious. I have noticed that when I'm happy and relaxed this doesn't even cross my mind but as soon as I think about it, it comes back and I feel like I'm trying to scare myself but I really don't know why I do it. I thought maybe I had schizophrenia or some psychosis but then sometimes I think it could be all the stress in my life taking its toll on me. I really don't know.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

When did you start to notice this symptom?

Do you have any abuse in your background either from parents or others?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've never been abused as such but I've been hurt and let down by some of the people closest to me, and I have difficulty trusting anyone really. My parents are fine they were just normal parents. I started noticing this when i was about 16 I had been rejected by a boyfriend, but it has kind of come and gone over the years since then and I just ignored it. But lately like in the past year or so, its much worse.

Thank you for the additional information.

It could be three things- either you are having symptoms of schizophrenia, OCD (Obsessive Compulsive disorder), or you are experiencing low self esteem and this is part of your internal dialog.

If it is schizophrenia, then you are likely to have other symptoms as well. Here is a link to a website that lists symptoms:

You would need to have more than one of the symptoms to qualify for the disorder. Onset is usually around your age so it should be considered. But if you are having only one symptom, then it is unlikely.

You could also have OCD. When you become anxious or upset, your thoughts may start to bother you. OCD is an anxiety based disorder so it is possible. Plus it can be triggered by a traumatic situation such as your break up. Here is a link for OCD:

Finally, it could just be low self esteem. When you experienced the break up and other hurt you have been through, it could have affected how you feel about yourself. So when you feel upset, these thoughts are triggered. You can counter them with CBT, Cognitive Behavioral therapy. It changes how you think so your feelings follow.

You may want to consider getting a full evaluation by a therapist to be sure to rule out any disorder. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on your own at:

I hope this has helped you,