Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

I have the following dx: Schizoaffective Bipolar, I currently

I have the following dx: Schizoaffective Bipolar, I currently take Geodon 160mg, Lamictal 200mg, Clonazepam 0.5mg am and 0.25mg in the pm, Vyvanse and have added 5mg of Abilify. I need to know if Abilify is an antidepressant or anti psychotic.

Ideally I would like to drop Geodon and Use Abilify, but I tried 10 mg, 5mg in the a.m. and 5mg in the p.m. and felt manic and feelings of aggression. Also I did not sleep for 24 hours.

Should I take this medication, I started at 2mg in the a.m., Geodon 80mg a.m. and p.m., then I went to 5mg. I feel that my anxiety levels have increased and I find it difficult to swallow. How long does it take this medication to work, I was hoping by dropping Geodon and adding Abilify that it would help me to lose the excess weight I have gained.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.

Dr_Anderson :

Greetings, and thank you for your question!

Dr_Anderson :

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time! But let's see if we can piece this out. Abilify is an anti-psychotic (second generation, to be more precise), but it is often used to augment (or replace) antidepressants since it has that effect. It is also used as a mood stabilizer.

Dr_Anderson :

Ideally, a person should only be on 1 SGA at a time, so if the Abilify works well for you, exchanging it for the Geodon would be very reasonable to do. Plus, Abilify can be taken only once a day, unlike your Geodon which has to be taken twice a day.

Dr_Anderson :

Regarding the manic feeling, this could have been for a couple reasons: (1) Starting off at too high of a dose of Abilify too quickly; this can be solved by going back to the 2 mg and staying there; (2) Being on Abilify and Geodon, so too much SGA on-board; this can be solved by lowering your Geodon dose to say 120 mg total daily (40 + 80); (3) The nature of Abilify itself, making you manic because it is not mixing well with you; (4) Side effects from being on too much SGA, making you feel jittery, restless, and agitated; (5) Some combination of the above!

Dr_Anderson :

Certainly, talk with your doctor about these problems, but since you are trying to get onto Abilify, I'd probably opt for options (1) and (2) above.

Dr_Anderson :

The diffoculty swallowing also makes me think you might be having side effects from the Abilify, or from the Abilify + Geodon, so doing options (1) and (2), plus adding in 25 mg of Benadryl, should help take care of that.

Dr_Anderson :

Hope this helps! Please let me know if I may be of further service, and please do not rate this until you are satisfied your question has been answered to your need!

Dr_Anderson :

Regards,

Dr_Anderson :

Dr. Anderson

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WHY BENADRLY?
Greetings! Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is used to combat side effects of antipsychotics, like Abilify and Geodon. Specifically, it can help with jitters, shakes, restlessness, stiffness, and other side effects that might be due to the medications. Prescription version, such as Artane and Cogentin, also may be used.
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist