Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi Im having enxiaty attacks all the time,

Customer Question

Hi I'm having enxiaty attacks all the time, it been going on for 2 years now! But recently it started bothering me more , I'm not going crazy, but every time it starts I eat a lot, there's this weird feeling, my brain keeps on telling me to eat, And the most funny thing is that it's telling me to checkup sugar level all the time, I'm perfectly healthy I've no diabetes, but it still bothers me a lot , & recently I can't go to a grocery or any kind of shopping , there's this filling that something bad is gonna happen to me! This it really bothering my lifestyle, I'm usually a very happy person& very active& still trying to be active, please help me :) thanks !
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : Wanting to eat more that usual is not uncommon for a person suffering from depression, but less so for anxiety.
KansasTherapist : You desire to check your blood sugar sounds like one of the things, like shopping is focused on.
KansasTherapist : Your anxiety is focused on
KansasTherapist : For someone having severe problems that you seems to have, medication is a good place to start.
KansasTherapist : Currently, antidepressants are considered the best choice for treating anxiety.
KansasTherapist : Do you have a doctor you usually see?
Customer: yes I do , everything is ok with me that s what he said, but I don't want to be on antidepressants dr.& as far as my sugar I check it almost everyday , it fine I don't have any diabetes, it's just weird how your brain starts to control you . Lol! But idid a research on anxiety and hypoglacimia and it seems that they have the same symtoms dr. :)
Customer: Dr. Is there any home remedies that you would recommend , because I don't think that this is a big deal, it like an obbsetion & it's funny sometimes when it des appears :)! Oh & what is this with avoiding the stores ? I love shopping for anything :)
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I wanted to be sure you are being helped. If you would like to continue with the therapist you are working with already, that is fine.

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi dr. What happend to my answer:)?

Would you like me to assist you?

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes Kate please assist me :)

I will work on your answer and get right back to you.

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks !
It sounds like you might be dealing with some OCD symptoms (Obsessive Compulsive disorder). This does not mean you have OCD, but you may have some symptoms related to it. OCD and anxiety are related as OCD is an anxiety based disorder. It can be characterized by the need to control. Eating a lot, especially when you are not hungry, can be a compulsive reaction to your anxiety attacks.

The need to check your sugar level is related as well to the possible OCD symptoms. Checking and re checking is a compulsion and often represents the need to control. It is a way to cope with the anxiety that you are feeling.

You could also be experiencing the need to feel very full as a way to comfort yourself. Many people feel empty inside and eat to feel comfort. It's a self soothing activity that provides a feeling of nurturing and comfort. This is a possibility, though the description of your symptoms sounds more like possible OCD symptoms.

The feeling that something bad will happen to you when you are out and shopping is from the anxiety. What you are experiencing is a common symptom. People who have anxiety experience a sense of dread and often feel sure something bad will happen.

To address your symptoms, you may want to get a full evaluation by a therapist. You need to know if you do have OCD, or the symptoms of OCD and what type of anxiety you are coping with (there are different kinds). That way, you will know how to help yourself. Also, you may want to consider seeing a therapist. CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is very helpful in dealing with anxiety.

You can also work on how you feel at home through self help. There are numerous resources. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne (I use this one a lot)

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Anxiety_and_Panic/Support_Groups/

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/obsessive_compulsive_disorder_ocd.htm

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for the full answers. You made me fell better dr. My Dr. Thinks that a should stop worrying about it. I lost my business in January & got laid off from my job, I'm a pharm tech. May be this had lot to do with it! :) but thank you for your help:)

You're welcome! I am glad it helped. I think that the loss of your job and business has contributed to how you feel. That makes a lot of sense.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or more stars? Anything lower results in a negative against my record (ratings are confusing, sorry!). And your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

My best to you,
Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You ll have the highest rating dr. Thank you:)

Thank you so much! That is very kind of you.

Kate

Hello!

Your accept did not process so I am forwarding your question to the moderators to see what can be done. If you need assistance in trying again, let me know.

Thanks,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi dr. McCoy this is LIly again, again bothering you Sunday afternoon.:) now that you know what I'm suffering about which is none seance ! What would you recommend me to take to stop this anxiety, ? but without antidepressant phills! & if theres a time frame for this obbsetion to go way? :)

Hello, it's nice to hear from you! Due to the new JA rules, we need to start a new thread for your new question. Sorry about that. If you have any difficulty, let the moderators know. They can help.

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never Mind dr. Thank you :)
You're welcome. Take care.