Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.

My daughter aged 11 is seeing a cbt counsellor for anxiety

My daughter aged 11 is seeing a cbt counsellor for anxiety following divorce of parents, death of my father and quite a lot of other stuff. The therapist was recommended by school but is paid by me. I found out yesterday that the school have contacted the therapist to discuss my daughter without my knowledge or my daughters. The therapist has given a recommendation to the school while not in full knowledge of the facts and without speaking with me first. is this appropriate behaviour on the part of the counsellor?

Sorry to hear of the situation. The specific rules regarding confidentiality vary across geographic regions but I can tell you that disclosing patient/client information to any third party without first obtaining the written consent of the patient/client or their guardian is highly unethical.

I'm not sure what kind of counselor this person is but if they happen to be a Psychologist registered with The British Psychological Society then they may have violated their registration guidelines. If they have and you make a formal complaint they will face disciplinary action. If you determine that this person is BPS registered then I suggest you lodge a formal complaint. You can find out everything you need to know about BPS ethical practice here:

There is no way the disclosure you describe is ethical behavior on the part of the counselor.

I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions or would like me to elaborate further on anything I have written please let me know.

Just thought I'd check in and see how you were getting along with resolving the unauthorised disclosure of your daughter's private therapy information. If I can be of further assistance on this matter or you ever need any assistance or advice in general then please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,