Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
40845682

Will taking anti depreesants longer than 2 yrs cause emotional

Customer Question

Will taking anti depreesants longer than 2 yrs cause emotional imbalance or become more emotional??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.

In most cases Antidepressants are recommended to be used for around 8 months (longer if there is expected relapse risk). Over time there tends to be a reducing therapeutic effect, so longer term use shouldn't make you more emotional per se. However, emotional lability (increased variation in mood - I think this is what you are describing) can be a symptom of developing Depression so it may be that the medication is having less effect and there is a corresponding increase in emotionality. WHen was the last time your medication was reviewed by a Psychiatrist?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Erm..she dint review,just increase of the Valeflexine to 150 mg on night from 75mg
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the extra information. Just to clarify, the increased emotionality occurred after the dosage increase? If so, how long after the dosage change did you notice the sympXXXXX XXXXXe? If you experience any unpleasant side effects or paradoxical symptoms (increased Depressive symptoms for example) then you should inform you Dr immediately. It is actually reasonably common for people to experience increased emotionality when dosage changes and it may just be a case of adjusting the new dosage. Just to double check, you are seeing a Psychiatrist and not a general/family doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

before the dose increased I am also quite emotional...seeing a psychiatrist.

Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.

Did the Psychiatrist increase the dose because of the increasing emotional lability? Thanks for being patient with my questions, it's important I get as much information as possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes she had increased my meds cos my increased emotional instability

Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.

Ok. So, if the increased emotional stability has developed in the absence of external events that could be assumed to be the cause then I would presume that she thinks the medication is loosing its therapeutic effect with time (and hence increases the dosage).

So, getting back to your original question the increased emotionality is probably more likely to be due to the diminishing efficacy of the medication rather than a consequence of reasonably long-term use.

How long ago was the dosage increased? Have you noticed any improvement since?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had only increased the dose for a few days now,have not seen any improvement..
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.

Dosage changes can take several weeks for therapeutic effect so it is probably too early to tell if it is working. Having to wait for a dose change to have effect can be a very frustrating experience and I sympathize with your situation.

I can tell you though that it sounds like your Psychiatrist is following standard procedure and hopefully you will see some improvement in the near future. If you do not I expect that your psychiatristá will consider a further increase in dosage or the possibility of switching medications. Either of these options would be standard procedure.

I hope this has been of some help. If you have any further questions or would like me to elaborate any further on what I have written so far please let me know.

Dr John B, Psychologist
Experience: PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Expert:  Dr John B replied 2 years ago.

Just thought I'd check in and see if you were noticing an effect of your dosage increase? If I can be of further assistance or if you ever have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The drug does not have much effect..Btw I was hospitalised again on 12th July cos of another job that was lost..Drug now is increased further..Quentapine 50 mg on morning and afternoon.Den the valeflexine increased to 150mg twice a day.