Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

my 39 year old son has a drinking problem along with depression

my 39 year old son has a drinking problem along with depression and anxiety. He has a wonderful career going on 10 years now and is doing fine with that. He lives alone with his dog and has no family members close by. He seems to be searching for the "perfect woman" but as yet has not found her. I suspect that his weekend drinking is a reason no one wants to be around him. I don't know where he should start looking for the help he said he wants with his alcoholism/depression/anxiety--which all run in our family.
Are there any meds that would curb his need for alcohol? What speciality physician should he see? Please help with any ideas you could give. My husband, daughter, and I are planning to see him asap. We all live in VA and he's up in Syracuse all alone.
Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rossi :

Dr. Rossi :

First to address your question of whom he should see initially-

Dr. Rossi :

An MD (psychiatrist) would be the one who can evaluate him for medication. If he is only abusing alcohol primarily on the weekends, the MD may mainly target his mood and anxiety conditions.

Dr. Rossi :

In that case, he may be prescribed antidepressant and antianxiety medicaiton. Some medications target both as anxiety and depression are closely related.

Dr. Rossi :

The medication Antabuse (Disulfiram) is generally used to treat severe alchoholism and those who may have withdrawal symptoms should they halt drinking.

Dr. Rossi :

In his case, this could be his way of self medicating his mood/anxiety level.

Dr. Rossi :

Unfortunately, alcohol acts as a deprssant

Dr. Rossi :

Wellbutrin (bupropion) is an antidepressant that is also used to manage addictive behaviors/cravings

Dr. Rossi :

Cymbalta is a medication that works both for depression and anxiety

Dr. Rossi :

His next step would be to either 1) use his insurance to connect with an in network counselor or 2) his EAP benefits (if his work provides these) Employee Assistance allows for individuals to get some free confidential cousneling by a clinician.

Dr. Rossi :

3) He could also decide to be evaluated for more intense counseling than traditional one on one counseling by enrolling into an IOP (intensive outpatient program) This sort of prorams offer intense counseling, mediation management if needed. He may have to go to it for a few days a week for several weeks (if his schedule allows for it)

Dr. Rossi :

Along with this, it would be a good idea for him to connect with his local AA for support and resources. There, he can also find a sponsor- someone who he can reach out to when he feels lonely and about to drink.

Dr. Rossi :

This is the AA site for his area www.aasyracuse.org/

Dr. Rossi :

Another place to seek services is throug his local community mental and substance abuse center

Dr. Rossi :

There are multiple options for him to explore and go with what he feels comfortable at this time.

Dr. Rossi :

If he is to look for one on one counseling, he would want to ensure that the clinician treats dual diagnosis both (mental and substance abuse) issues.

Dr. Rossi :

Feel free to clarify if this is what you were inquiring about.

Dr. Rossi :

List of resources for MD and counseling services

Dr. Rossi :

You're welcome to reply.

Dr. Rossi :

I'm not sure if you're still online.

Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 1 year ago.

do you need any further assistance? Thank you!