KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

Is complex PTSD a real diagnosis and what is the best tre

Is complex PTSD a real diagnosis and what is the best treatment.

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : Ye, PTSD is a real illness.
KansasTherapist : It has a specific cause, and set of symptoms.
KansasTherapist : I can list the them if you would like.
KansasTherapist : Because PTSD is an anxiety disorder the treatment primarily involves relieving the anxiety. One of the ways to do that is with Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (E
KansasTherapist : (EMDR).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I would like them listed and the difrences between complex and regular PTSD.
The technique involves having the client move their eyes back and forth while they think about the traumatic event. The eye movement allows them to reprocess the experience and move it out of the part of their brain where it is constantly revisited.

It can also be treated by an experienced, supportive therapist that can help the client feel less responsible for the traumatic event, practice relaxation skills, and change behaviors that are the result of their anxiety.

A third choice is to treat the anxiety with an antidepressant approved for that purpose.

What would work the best depends somewhat on the symptoms the person is having.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have delt w MDD for most of my adult life, (surviver of 17 yrs. of child abuse, not sexual. abuser is dead) nothing works, i have disasotiation, sever emotional numbing, amnestia, ect.... EMDR didn't work I'm at a loss. Whats next?
There are some cases of PTSD that are more severe than others. It is extremely difficult to live with such intractable anxiety. My suggestion comes from the treatment for borderline personality disorder. I'm not suggesting that you have BPD but the skills taught in that treatment are also helpful for depression and anxiety. If anyone in your area uses Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) I suggest you talk to them about treating you. Are you familiar with DBT?
I'm having trouble getting the system to post the answers I'm writing to you. I have a couple of appointments this afternoon. Hopefully when I can get back to you the system will be more cooperative.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I havn't heard of it before. I'll be at a diffrent email address for the rest of the week. It is [email protected]. I feel like i've ran out of treatment options and I'm so tired of going threw the motions of life. Ive reserched (I thought) all options so excited to find out more. I've also been looking into MDMA therapy. I realise it's not legal at the moment, but I can't live like this forever. I need a solution. The MDMA sounds like it's doing the job. So far it was a 80% CURE rate. Do you know anything about it?
I don't know much about MDMA. I could be wrong but I think it is a form of an SSRI but much stronger. From the little I have read, it looks like the current trial is with veterans. If it is showing good results, they may start a trial with abuse victims, but you'll have to wait and see. In the mean time, you could give DBT a try. I think it will give you some relief.
You'll need to go to the account page to change your email address if you want thing to go somewhere else. I'm not allowed to correspond with you directly.