KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

I took lexapro for 3 months for severe anxiety/depression.

I took lexapro for 3 months for severe anxiety/depression. I started at 10mg for 2 weeks and it did not seem to do anything. I increased to 20mg after the two weeks and within 4 days it worked like a charm. I felt like my old self for 3 months and then out of the blue it stopped working. The only thing I can think of is that I started a no carb diet for a few weeks before it stopped working. I have since found out that no carb is not very good for people prone to depression so I will never do that again. I immediately put the carbs back in my diet and increased my lexapro to 30mg. However, that was about 8 weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be working at all. I am not sure what to do. Should I try switching to another med? If so, which one would you recommend for me if lexapro worked so well? thank you for your help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for antidepressants to stop working an need a change. Celexa is similar to Lexapro so you may want to try that first. If that's not the right med for you, Zoloft would be another choice. Do keep taking your fish oil supplement. It's good for lots of things, including mood.

I hope this helps.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.