KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

is it normal while transitioning from Effexor to Remeron to

is it normal while transitioning from Effexor to Remeron to go from feeling fine to iiritable and angry within minutes, be so tired you sleep all day, can't concentrate or feel so stoned you can't drive?

KansasTherapist : Hello
Customer:

hello

KansasTherapist : Are you taking both meds at the same time, tapering off of Effexor or building up the Remeron?
Customer:

I am taking the effexor 150 mg in the am, tapering off, and taking the remeron 15 mg at night to build up. This is the 3rd day I have taken them

KansasTherapist : Going off of Effexor can be difficult. The irritability may be caused by that.
KansasTherapist : Remeron has an odd side effect in that at low doses it can feel like you're taking one of the old style antihistamines that make you sleep and fuzzy headed. It goes away as the dose is increased.
Customer:

I understand that. My concern is that I still have 5 days before I can increase the dose. Right now I can't concentrate, I "zone out", and I have 2 kids to care for, besides having things I need to do. Right now I can't even drive my car because I don't feel like I would be safe enough. Is that normal?

KansasTherapist : It's probably a stronger reaction that most people have. You could call your doctor and see if they will raise the dose sooner.
Customer:

alright. thank you for your help

KansasTherapist : You're totally welcome.