Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

My son is 29 years old and just moved here in Katy, TX area

My son is 29 years old and just moved here in Katy, TX area from Ca. He went to a community health clinic and saw a psychiatrist in behavioral health. He takes generic drugs for Xanax, Ambien and takes Effexor X-RAY. Has been on them for several years. We need help finding him a sliding scale psychiatrist that can prescribe these meds. I can take him anywhere I need to around Houston area but he doesn't have insurance and need sliding scale to help us afford it. He has about 10 days of meds left. Thanks for any help...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Levang :

Dr. Levang :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. Levang :

Please check out the website of Katy Independent School District (KatyISD).

Dr. Levang :

There are several pages that list community resources, including sliding scale fee practitioners.

Dr. Levang :

http://kisdwebs.katyisd.org/campuses/CJH/counselorscorner/Documents/Community%20Professionals%20Referral%20List.pdf

Dr. Levang :

The above is a pdf list of providers.

Dr. Levang :

There is an entire page of psychiatrists.

Dr. Levang :

If he runs out of medication, the Emergency Room at a local hospital is a resource.

Dr. Levang :

I would try to get him in before you get to that point in this care.

Dr. Levang :

Do you have any records from his previous doctor that can be passed along? Getting that information should help to speed up the process.

Dr. Levang :

Any physician can prescribe those medications.

Dr. Levang :

I am sorry you were turned down at Spring Branch...that is rather unusual. The medications you listed are not unusual in any way...but it may be their own internal process that had them say no.

Dr. Levang :

They may have been concerned about "drug seeking"...I would suggest that you go with him to his first appointment so that they can be reassured that he is not misusing the medication.

Dr. Levang :

And also that he has a stable address and so forth.

Dr. Levang :

Is this information helpful? Is there more I can provide to you at this time?

Customer: Can you refer me to good psychiatrist in Houston..Katy area? Maybe I can pay for the visit..
Dr. Levang :

Okay. Give me a moment to review the list I sent and also to do another check through another resource.

Dr. Levang :

I will get back to you in a few moments.

Dr. Levang :

Thank you for your patience.

Dr. Levang :

I will leave this page open if you want to post any additional information.

Customer: Thank you...
Customer: Sorry I see that Effexor XR typed out X-RAY..
Dr. Levang :

I knew what you meant! No problem.

Dr. Levang :

I have called another of offices in the Houston area. Psychiatrists are very busy people...unfortunately.

Dr. Levang :

Dr. Bernard Rosenberg has availability the end of July - and so do some of his colleagues.

Dr. Levang :

Dr. Kimberly Cress is not available until mid-August

Dr. Levang :

Some take insurance...most it is private pay.

Dr. Levang :

The typical cost is $300 for an 90 minute appointment. $130 for 30 minute follow-ups.

Dr. Levang :

Because it is so difficult to get in to see a psychiatrist...I would ask you to consider having him see at a medical clinic...a physician can and does prescribe these medications. You would be able to get an appointment much quicker.

Dr. Levang :

But...if your choice is to see a psychiatrist...I will provide the names and contact numbers of the people I listed above and a few more...

Dr. Levang :

What would you prefer?

Dr. Levang :

http://www.tmsserenitycenter.com/ourstaff.php

Dr. Levang :

website of Dr. Cress

Customer: What about family physician? Can't they prescribe these until we get to psychiatrist? He only has 10 days of meds left. I don't think his Dr. In CA would refill that over the phone..or if it is legal to do that.
Customer: Sorry.. Was typing and just read your reply .. A medical would work for now. Any suggestions?
Dr. Levang :

Yes ... a family physician can prescribe these. And that would be my recommendation at this point.

Dr. Levang :

You can take him to your physician...is that something you would be comfortable with?

Dr. Levang :

14340 Torrey Chase Blvd, Houston, TX 77014

Dr. Bernard Rosenberg - he has several associates in his office

14340 Torrey Chase Blvd Houston, TX 77014
(281) (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Office)

Customer: Yes..I have only gone once and it was Fulshear Family Medicine.
Dr. Levang :

http://www.healthgrades.com/family-practice-directory/tx-texas/katy

Dr. Levang :

Above is a listing of family practice physicians in Katy.

Dr. Levang :

I just checked their website. They have two physicians. It would be simple enough to call their...explain what you are looking for and see if they are willing to see your son and when.

Dr. Levang :

If they are not willing to do an evaluation for medication, see if they recommend another physician or clinic.

Dr. Levang :

You can also go over the healthgrades website I provided.

Dr. Levang :

How does this sound?

Customer: What website did you check?
Dr. Levang :

I checked the website for Fulshear Family Medicine.

Dr. Levang :

Also:

Dr. Levang :

Customer: Okay..Thank you so much....
Dr. Levang :

Y

Dr. Levang :

You are very welcome.

Dr. Levang :

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. Levang :

Good luck!

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist