Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have just been on Ambien for around 10 days. I was taking

I have just been on Ambien for around 10 days. I was taking around 7mg. and have over the past two days gone down to 5mg. I am highly sensitive and seem to have some withdrawal symptoms of waking up at 2:00pm and not going back to sleep that well without taking something natural to relax me. How long should I take the 5mg. dosage before I wean myself off entirely? I know it is important to titrate down. I have also added Melatonin and a product that has Valerian in it.

Thanks,
Suzanne [email protected]

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, it is but natural to face insomnia at night now that you have been trying to wean off ambien , so it is expected to have these sleep problems but on a good note , you need not worry and continue to use natural remedies to bring sleep untill you are completely off ambien.

Dr. Kaushik :

As far as ambien is concerned well you need to be on 5 mg dose for a total of 7 days , so another 5 days moe to go and then yo can stop ambien ..

Dr. Kaushik :

It is is good to have started on melatonin as a sleep aid , it really works ..

Dr. Kaushik :

So, stick to ambien at 5 mg dose for another 5 days and then stop it completely ..

Dr. Kaushik :

Count 1 week from the day you stop ambien for the withdrawal side effect of insomnia to get over..

Dr. Kaushik :

Continue to use melatonin and valerian supplement meanwhile..

Dr. Kaushik :

I hope this helps and answers your query..

Dr. Kaushik :

If there is any other query please ask it ,but if there is no other query and if you are satisfied with the answer then kindly please press the ACCEPT button so that i can be credited for my service and time..

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was a little confused about the answer about taking natural supplements while weaning off? Is it ok to take the valerian and the melatonin while on the 5mg for those next 5 days?

Yes..

i am sorry if that confused you..

What i meant was to continue to use melatonin and valerian for the next 5 days till you continue on 5 mg dose of ambien..

I hope this answers your query..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..