Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

At the end of this year I am going to my local "U3A" and give

At the end of this year I am going to my local "U3A" and give a talk about keeping happy, enjoying a joke, laughing etc, I suffer with "Mental Depression", but 95% of the time I feel good, and I love makeing other people laugh without being a bore. I have been given to understand that there are different things in the body that react to humour, also is it correct that it is beneficial that we can laugh?. I would like to pass on an answere at my talk. My name isXXXXX am 72, and, I take "PEROXETINE".

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

This sounds like a great presentation you have planned.

Bill :

Did you know that what you are talking about has its own Name?

Bill :

It is referred to as GELOTOLOGY:

Bill :

Gelotology is the study of laughter, and humor. and their effect on the human body. Laughter has also been studied from both a psychological, and physiological perspective.

Bill :

Just what is Gelotology?

Gelotology is most likely a word you’re unfamiliar with. It’s the study of something most people experience in one form or another each and every single day. Something that has the power to make us cry, the power to make us happy, even the power to make our muscles ache. People sometimes use narcotics to feel it. Some people are born to make others feel it. And it happens in the most unlikely of places, even the dentist’s chair, or in the middle of a warzone.

Know what I’m talking about?

Gelotology is the study of laughter. Laughter, in terms of a medical description is a human behaviour regulated by our brains, it has everything to do with social interaction, and for the most part, fills our over-worked brains with much needed endorphins. And the old adage ‘laughter is the best medicine’ is no farce: getology forecasts that people who laugh a lot have improved health, a longer lifespan and overall well-being. So just why is it then that so many comedians die young?

Unfortunately for some, laughter is a disease. A condition called laughter syncope actually causes people to lose consciousness. Another condition called pathological laughter, usually employed by that demented tramp everyone has seen lurking around the bottle store, is usually curable by the use of antidepressants. However, if you’re known to laugh in appropriate situations, don’t worry just yet, it’s probably your inbuilt coping mechanism for sadness, angriness and pain.

source: http://www.sapromo.com/sa/entertainment/fyi/gelotology-what-is-it

Bill :

The following links provide additional information on how Laughter related to the brain:

Bill :

I trust this will help you greatly with your presentation and wish you continued good MENTAL HEALTH-----Filled with laughter!!!!!!!!!!

Bill :

Cheers, Bill

Bill :

PLEASE PROVIDE POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

Bill :

Thanks-

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Bill, just what I wanted, brilliant.

Best wishes, Dave.

Dave- You are most welcome-

PLEASE LEAVE POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME.

All the best, Bill

Thanks