KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

Is it possible for a woman with HPD, who has been diagnosed

Is it possible for a woman with HPD, who has been diagnosed and is open about her condition, to have a long term relationship?

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : I believe it is possible.
KansasTherapist : There are always things you can do to manage you illness that will help, but it would also depend on the person you're in a relationship with.
KansasTherapist : What symptoms cause you the most problems?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well its actually a women I've known for a few months now. She recently told me about her condition and is reluctant to commit to a relationship for fear of hurting me. Not previously knowing anything about the condition I've tried to research it and some of the symptoms fit but others it seems to be the opposite with her. I read that people with HPD find it hard to care about other people yet I thought she cared too much about others, for example lending money to friends when she has hardly any. I feel like I could deal with most of the symptoms such as the mood swings and dramatics but if its impossible for her to remain faithful is there really any point. I do have strong feelings for her so it's not easy for me break it off.
With any personality disorder, an individual will probably have some but not all of the symptoms. Some of the once they have they may find fairly easy to control. For example, you friend may not have a problem with being sexually provocative. I once knew a woman who liked being the center of attention and wanted her husband to "show her off" but was never interested in letting things go farther than that. Two of the symptoms she does seem to have are being suggestible and thinking relationships are more intimate than they are.

If you want to pursue a relationship with this woman, it would be a good idea to have a conversation with her about what she sees as the symptoms that cause her the most difficulty. That will give you a better idea of what you would need to deal with.