Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist

BURNOUT AT WORK AND IN GENERAL prior to an work related injury

BURNOUT AT WORK AND IN GENERAL prior to an work related injury (ruptured L5/S1) ...now am being geared up to start a return to work program after back mostly improved. Scared...don't feel I have anything more to give at work. Help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Levang :

Dr. Levang :

I would like to help you with your question.

Customer: Busy day?..you're working on a long weekend...I appreciate your time.
Dr. Levang :

I am sorry that you are feeling burned out at work and now are facing a return! This sounds like a whole lot of pressure. I am glad that you are seeing a counselor - that's a very good step in trying to manage your feelings and gain emotional strength.

Dr. Levang :

Have you been prescribed any medication for the anxiety? or the pain?

Dr. Levang :

Will you be put on a light duty status when you return to work? Or...what expectations will they have?

Dr. Levang :

What is the part about work that causes the most "burn-out"?

Dr. Levang :

Is the binge eating because of the anxiety?

Dr. Levang :

I like your reaching out to a fellow employee to stay up to date on the workplace! That was very wise and will help with your return to work.

Customer: The meeting to figure that out is tomorrow...it will be a short return to work program...Doctor wrote a note saying I can return with no restrictions.
Dr. Levang :

The breathing techniques are very great too!

Dr. Levang :

And how are you feeling about the "no restrictions"?

Dr. Levang :

Will you wear a brace of some kind to help stabilize your back? Are you fearful about that?

Customer: Not good..with my weight gain, and having an obligatory gathering for a family BBQ here my knees are now more of a concern even more than my back right now...but I worry that I will not be ready mentally...poor concentration and memory.
Customer: ..cry easily still...
Customer: Before the injury, I was caught crying on a number of occasions...
Dr. Levang :

I am imagining the crying is about the burnout - right?

Customer: Trying too hard to do a good job turned out to be trying too hard to do an adequate job...
Dr. Levang :

Yes...I understand. Nursing is a very, very difficult job. The demands are extreme. The hours are long and tiring.

Dr. Levang :

The pressure some days is enormous.

Customer: I work at a nursing home...full time nights with 2 health care aides...big deal right?
Dr. Levang :

Do you feel that you have gotten any break from this pressure while you have been out with your injury?

Dr. Levang :

Yes...it is a big deal.

Dr. Levang :

The demands are there. The responsibility is there.

Dr. Levang :

It is a tough environment.

Dr. Levang :

Things go wrong.

Dr. Levang :

Also...your sleep cycle is backward!

Customer: I was relieved to hurt my back...was even in a MVA that ruptured the disc further and the pain was extreme but I would rather go through that again than face work
Dr. Levang :

It is time to consider another job? A career move of some kind?

Dr. Levang :

What about working in a clinic?

Dr. Levang :

Have you considered that some of your emotional symptoms might be related to peri-menopause?

Dr. Levang :

Have you had your hormones checked lately?

Customer: I don't think I could concentrate enough to learn and retain...there is nowhere else in the facility I would want to work...ours has the best team work...
Dr. Levang :

I know that may sound like a strange thing to ask...but at 52 that is very possible.

Customer: Hormones?
Dr. Levang :

Yes...hormones...a check of your hormone levels may show that you are decreasing in estrogen...that might explain some of the crying and the burnout.

Dr. Levang :

I know you are believing that it is all job related...and that may be true...but there also may be an effect from peri-menopause.

Dr. Levang :

What do you think about that possibility?

Customer: Maybe...
Dr. Levang :

Okay. I encourage you to get that checked out. It may provide another answer...

Dr. Levang :

Let's look at work for a moment...

Dr. Levang :

You say you have a wonderful work team! Awesome...

Customer: ...I've been like this before though when I was much younger
Dr. Levang :

What is it that you find so difficult about work...

Dr. Levang :

Yes...you could have low estrogen for a number of reasons..

Customer: My brother is in worse shape than I am...and still working at a very stressful job and taking care of Mom.
Dr. Levang :

You also have been trying to lose weight and it sounds like you feel somewhat defeated that you are not doing better. The dieting could also be another impact on your emotions.

Dr. Levang :

Are you attempting to follow a strict diet? Or are you doing Weight Watchers..or some other program? I am imagining the binge eating was a stress response.

Customer: What else causes low estrogen?
Customer: No special diet but exercising like never before at a program from 8:30-1600hrs
Dr. Levang :

I am not a physician so I am sorry but I don't know that well enough to comment. However, I do know that age is one factor.

Dr. Levang :

Okay...so you are getting some supervision during the exercise to make sure you are hydrated and not over-extending yourself. That's good!

Customer: Trying to eat 5 small small meals a day, not missing breakfast, some protein for bkft like an egg usually, and not eating after 0730hrs.
Customer: Until I binge
Dr. Levang :

Here is a brief statement about low estrogen. I encourage you to go to www.mayoclinic.com to read more about this.Causes of low estrogen in women are usually related to the pituitary gland. Not eating correctly (such as with eating disorders), excessive exercise, and pituitary diseases and disorders can all contribute to low estrogen levels. When these issues occur, the pituitary gland does not communicate properly with the ovaries. Without the pituitary gland telling the ovaries to produce estrogen, not enough of the hormone will be produced.

Dr. Levang :

It sounds like the diet plan is reasonable...but tough.

Dr. Levang :

And...the binging...because you feel sad? upset? defeated?

Customer: Actually, during aerobic exercises about two weeks ago, I got my usual right eye pain and then prickles on right side of face and right neck stiffness...rested, pain went away and some of the face 'prickles' still there...waiting for a AT scan and neuro consult...knew I should have asked to go to ER but hoping for a major stroke...
Customer: Defeated, sad, anxious...
Customer: Misunderstood
Customer: Worry that someone might think I'm just malingering
Dr. Levang :

I am sorry.

Customer: I am very anxious and am unsure myself
Dr. Levang :

It sounds like the level of emotional and physical pain is so very high.

Dr. Levang :

Wanting to have a major stroke is a scary thought.

Dr. Levang :

I wouldn't worry about what others thing...the most important thing is what you think!

Dr. Levang :

Do you feel that the counselor is helping you in any way?

Customer: Yes
Dr. Levang :

Yes...it would seem only natural to feel unsure of yourself and even anxious.

Dr. Levang :

You have a stressful job and feel burned out. You had an injury to your back that was extremely painful.

Dr. Levang :

You don't want to return to work...but you must...

Dr. Levang :

You see no way out.

Dr. Levang :

All of that adds up to being anxious and unsure...

Dr. Levang :

Then the doctor said you could go back to work with no restrictions! Oh brother!

Dr. Levang :

When you think about going back to work...is there any pleasant thought there at all?

Dr. Levang :

Maybe about seeing your co-workers? Maybe about a favorite patient?

Dr. Levang :

Anything?

Customer: The residents like me
Customer: Then they die
Customer: It's hard to cheer them up when I feel so sad
Dr. Levang :

Yes...that is the sad part. You form relationships with them...but it is often so brief.

Dr. Levang :

Yes...I can understand that you feel you don't have the strength to cheer them up when you need cheering up too!

Dr. Levang :

Have you - or do you - see the honor you have in assisting the residents in the last days of their life?

Dr. Levang :

In giving them last memories and experiences that are compassionate, caring, and respectful?

Customer: I get as much out of my relationship with them as they do from me...sorry.of my social life
Dr. Levang :

Do you - or have you - known how very much family members trust and rely on you to be that message bearer that says that they can go in peace knowing that they are surrounded by love?

Dr. Levang :

As a care provider we often lose sight of the role we have in people's lives.

Customer: I try to help out the staff too...lots of HCAs are single mom,s...give them only to help them sometime...bought gift cards for a shoe place for a girl with 3 kids and very sore feet, a car battery for one so she wouldn't be late because of her car trouble...
Dr. Levang :

There are so many unspoken things...I imagine that some no longer communicate and so they cannot share their delight in having you in their life. Family members are so torn...they likely don't say much either. So there is a sense of thanklessness.

Customer: Working nights, I don,t see families until the last nights...
Dr. Levang :

Yes! And these are moments in life when you own heart speaks out! When your own heart says...I can make a difference in someone's life. That is an honor! And..you are a wonderful, caring woman for doing those things!

Customer: They have told my previous head nurse that they like me...hear about me from the residents
Dr. Levang :

Yes...and because you don't interact with family members you do not see the pain in their eyes of having to see their parents or family members shrivel away...and their gratitude to care providers for stepping in for them...for being there when they cannot.

Customer: I don't feel like a woman...more like a kid
Dr. Levang :

And...in the end...that is what it is all about! Bringing dignity and respect to these individuals when they have lost so very much of their life.

Dr. Levang :

And why do you feel like a kid? Because you are in pain? Because you feel tired of your job? Why...

Dr. Levang :

Do you remember why you became an RN? Why you went to school and worked and read and learned? What was your goal? What drove you?

Customer: Always fell about 12 or 13 sometimes 8
Dr. Levang :

What happened in your life when you were that age? Tell me about yourself then...

Customer: Became a nurse because my friend was going to and didn't want to be left behind
Dr. Levang :

So becoming a nurse was not your heart's desire...but because of a friend. Okay.

Customer: I've spoken to my counsellor about that...some inappropriate stuff...When I was 16, Dad pushing his way into the room where I was dressing behind the door...no locks on doors...when I yelled out he held his index finger to my face and told me I had nothing worth looking at anyway
Customer: Strong Catholic upbringing
Dr. Levang :

I am so sorry. That was very hurtful and inappropriate.

Dr. Levang :

And did you feel shamed?

Dr. Levang :

What you father did was very hurtful.

Dr. Levang :

I can only imagine how that made you feel about your body...especially at age 16.

Customer: Now I just want to make Mom happy and proud...she's now well...heart attack year ago
Dr. Levang :

I am glad you have talked to your counselor about this. It is a very important topic to bring up and get healing around.

Dr. Levang :

I am sorry about your Mom. And ... yes...I can understand wanting her to be happy and proud.

Dr. Levang :

You sound like a very compassionate person...good to co-workers, residents and your mom.

Dr. Levang :

Do you see your own goodness?

Dr. Levang :

Do you see how hard you have striven to be a wonderful, caring individual?

Dr. Levang :

I know we often lose sight of our own accomplishments and as a Catholic...there is that "Catholic Guilt"...but

Customer: Mom would love for me to be more like other church friend's daughters I think...looking after a family...she loves kids and I never married...hardly dated...experimented...did some shameful things with complete strangers to feel control over them...got nothing more out of it..
Dr. Levang :

you seem to have risen above many disappointments in life and have given your heart to others..

Dr. Levang :

I can understand the experimenting...that's what we do when we are looking for love and not knowing exactly how to go about it.

Dr. Levang :

Yes...mother's want their daughters - and their son's - to accomplish certain things in life...

Dr. Levang :

And it is hard to give our mother's exactly what they want. Let go of the sexual experimenting....it happens to most everyone....regardless of what is said in public. It is part of growing up.

Customer: I always believed that if I was just good enough that I would go to heaven...I would try to be good so I could die.
Customer: Not working...expected to be dead years ago...
Customer: Never thought I would see 30 and. Ow I'm 52
Dr. Levang :

You see death more than most people. Do you really think that God is that hard on people?

Customer: No I don't
Customer: We're here to do God's work and help each other til they die or I die, whatever comes first
Dr. Levang :

So...let go of that notion. From what you have written...you have led a good life. You have a job that most people would never...and I mean never...even consider! Watching someone die is painful ... it is life changing.

Dr. Levang :

That you are there to help them at that point in their journey is an honor...it really is.

Dr. Levang :

It is a gift of tremendous importance.

Customer: I know it is a privilege
Customer: But I can,t do it anymore!
Customer: I'm empty
Dr. Levang :

And why can't you do it anymore?

Customer: Nothing more to give
Dr. Levang :

Tell me more about the emptiness....

Dr. Levang :

What do you mean...nothing more to give?

Dr. Levang :

Have you seen more death then you can now handle/

Dr. Levang :

Do you feel physically weak?

Dr. Levang :

Do you feel emotionally weak?

Customer: No...death is peacful
Dr. Levang :

I want to understand so that I can advise you...

Dr. Levang :

I want you to understand more fully so that you can decide what you will do..how you will go forward...

Customer: I sort of feel finished
Dr. Levang :

Yes...for these people death is sometimes a welcome relief...

Customer: Peaceful for me too
Dr. Levang :

Finished with the work you set out to accomplish in life?

Dr. Levang :

Or finished in the sense that you are just so tired of working and being strong?

Dr. Levang :

Strong for others...

Dr. Levang :

You do seem to have alot on your shoulders.

Customer: I never set out to accomplish anything...flying by the seat of my pants...tired of trying to be strong
Dr. Levang :

Okay! Yes...you have no one watching your back - so to speak...

Dr. Levang :

People depend on you. And you are tired of carrying the burden.

Dr. Levang :

You may not have set out to accomplish anything...but you have! You have walked where others cannot or will not.

Customer: Now I can hardly walk because of my knees, am not doing my share of caring for Mom's happiness
Dr. Levang :

So...flying by the seat of your pants or not...you have done well.

Dr. Levang :

What does that mean...doing my share for Mom's happiness...

Dr. Levang :

Your mother loves you unconditionally...

Dr. Levang :

You don't have to "earn" her happiness...

Dr. Levang :

That sounds like a message you got a long time ago that has more to do with the church...

Dr. Levang :

If your knees are bad and you can't hardly walk...do you think your mother sees that? Do you think she does not have compassion for the pain you must be in and for the immobility you suffer?

Dr. Levang :

There are times in our life when others must carry us....it seems you may be at that point where you put down the apron and let someone else pick it up!

Customer: People at work are upset and not trusting me because I have trouble saying what I need to say sometimes...ended up reporting 3individual HCaides...blindsided one that was a friend reporting her.
Dr. Levang :

What stops you from saying...I need help!

Dr. Levang :

Okay...so you need to work on being more forthcoming and communicating in an open and honest manner.

Customer: My family has been helping me, especially lately with my pain but...
Dr. Levang :

I can see where this might make it uncomfortable to go back to work.

Customer: They give and give and give and give even when I never asked...I feel like a thief because they give until they can,t and then give more
Dr. Levang :

So when you go back you can say, "It's a new day. I have thought about my style of communication while I have been out on sick leave and I will be making some changes. That means that from now on, I will be more straightforward in pointing out issues on the job."

Dr. Levang :

But you also give.

Customer: I would need to be more transparent without saying everything...
Dr. Levang :

So..perhaps you need to apologize and say how sorry you are for not being the kind of supervisor they wanted or expected. Ask for a clean slate...ask them to forgive you and to work more collaboratively with you.

Dr. Levang :

Yes...and you can do that.

Dr. Levang :

You can be more transparent..but still keep the confidences you need to.

Customer: I tell them not to give, that I don,t need whatever, I try to give back and it's useless...I hate it...HATE IT
Dr. Levang :

Do you think they give because they care about you? Because of their own pride in their work? Because of how they feel about the residents?

Dr. Levang :

You cannot control someone else's feelings...

Dr. Levang :

You have to let them make the choices they want about how much they give.

Dr. Levang :

You cannot control that...you really can't.

Customer: The breathing exercises are to help me with my extreme emotions and to help get a pause/edit button on my mouth
Customer: The givers I was talking about are my brother and Mom
Dr. Levang :

Yes...I understand the breathing. I like the way you put that...pause/edit button! I've never heard it put that way. I usually refer to the gas and brake...that breathing is the brake.

Dr. Levang :

Yes...I thought was maybe where you were headed there.

Dr. Levang :

But...you cannot control them. If they want to give...well they want to give.

Dr. Levang :

Is the hate because you feel inferior or weak or less than when they give?

Customer: But they complain about giving to others and likely don't want to 'give' but fell they have to
Customer: And I can,t stop them
Dr. Levang :

I am going to share a very important lesson with you:

Customer: And they don,t accept anything in return
Dr. Levang :

We give away what we want most.

Dr. Levang :

Do you understand this?

Customer: I thought of that
Dr. Levang :

So...when we want to be loved...we give love to others.

Dr. Levang :

When we want to be fed...we feed others.

Dr. Levang :

When we want to be understood...we understand others.

Dr. Levang :

So...let

Dr. Levang :

's look at what is going on with your brother and mother...

Dr. Levang :

What do they want most?

Dr. Levang :

And...what do you want most?

Customer: For someone to take care of them but they won,t hear of it
Customer: I want someone to let me die with dignity and be OK with that
Dr. Levang :

But remember what you told me earlier...about the residents? That you care for them and in return you get what???

Dr. Levang :

Your heart gets filled too!

Dr. Levang :

So...your mother and brother are getting something when they care for you...it is not a one-way street...even though that is how you have seen it....

Dr. Levang :

By allowing them to take give to you...they are getting their needs met....

Dr. Levang :

It is a reciprocal relationship...

Customer: I have think about that one
Dr. Levang :

It's a very good thought! It is what you do every day on the job...you give and you get in return...

Dr. Levang :

Your mother and brother are doing the same thing...

Dr. Levang :

And why you do it is likely because of what you learned from your mother...that is your family "blueprint"

Dr. Levang :

In a way...it is no wonder that you ended up in the career that you did....not a conscious decision but an unconscious one...

Dr. Levang :

Is this making sense?

Customer: But my brother is disappointed when I'm not there to answer the phone...and then he goes to gamble because he needs someone with him by phone or in person to make him happy...
Customer: That is all he asks and I can't guarantee that
Dr. Levang :

Well...your brother needs to "get a life"....

Dr. Levang :

He needs to make some new friends. Maybe he needs some therapy to understand is life choices.

Customer: He needs someone all the time which works for his relationship with mom
Dr. Levang :

Yes...I can understand that.

Dr. Levang :

But it might be more healthy if he were to join a club, take up a new hobby other than gambling, do some volunteer work...

Customer: He has LOTS of friends...but sometimes there is a moment when there is nobody and he can't stand it
Dr. Levang :

That's likely some anxiety...

Customer: He works for people for free even though he's exhausted
Dr. Levang :

Have you taught him the breathing? What about therapy...is that something he would consider?

Dr. Levang :

Yup..that's "giving away what we want most" piece...

Dr. Levang :

And that is the blueprint....

Dr. Levang :

You can continue with that blueprint or make some adjustments.

Customer: He tried a few times but the confidentiality. Was not respected on a number of occasions...now in a high profile job...would need to go out of province
Dr. Levang :

The therapy you are getting will help make some changes in that blueprint...make it more functional and healthy.

Dr. Levang :

That is very disappointing and unethical!

Dr. Levang :

How sad and upsetting.

Customer: It happened to me too once
Customer: But I'm nobody
Dr. Levang :

Wow! Yes..you are somebody...you have an important job and many, many people know who you are ... or know of you. It comes with the territory!

Dr. Levang :

Well..we have covered many aspects of your life here. Is there any more I can help you with today?

Customer: But I 'get it'
Dr. Levang :

I do encourage you to have your hormones checked. See the MayoClinic website for more information.

Customer: No, thanks..we did cover a lot
Dr. Levang :

Confidentiality is confidentiality. That it is broken is terrible!

Dr. Levang :

That should never ever happen.

Customer: I'll let you go now...you're great.
Dr. Levang :

I do not think you are malingering at work. I think there are some legitimate fears about your physical health. I also think that your not communicating more openly and more transparently with staff is weighing on your shoulders.

Dr. Levang :

Going back to work may be a way to clear the air on that and to apologize to staff for any hurt you may have caused them.

Dr. Levang :

I think people will respect an attitude of humbleness and forgiveness.

Customer: I'd have to make some public announcement...bad gossip travels fast
Dr. Levang :

As to your mother and brother...please try to see why they help...it is the family blueprint. Please see that they are being helped by helping you...it is not a one way street...

Customer: I don't believe they'd trust an attitude of humbleness and forgiveness...been there and done that a few times and then reported them
Dr. Levang :

Yes...I understand about gossip!!! Maybe there is a way to do this. You might ask your therapist to help you think about this.

Dr. Levang :

So...maybe it is an air of confidence that you have had time to think and want to institute some changes.

Dr. Levang :

And...maybe it is their problem to figure out how they will interact with you...

Dr. Levang :

I get that been there done that...sometimes it backfires when you are too "soft"...

Dr. Levang :

But I do think this little issue is weighing on your mind and that the air will have to be cleared one way or the other...

Dr. Levang :

I am worried about your knees. While you were cleared for work duty..I am assuming that was only about your back.

Customer: I genuinely apologize when I need to and things get better and I fell back into the same behavior...like binging I guess
Customer: I have one week of exercising before returning to work
Customer: If I need to, I could go to a walk in clinic...hobble in clinic and get a second opinion from someone not paid by wCB
Customer: For my knees
Dr. Levang :

And maybe a 2nd opinion is what is needed here. I trust you know how to take care of this.

Dr. Levang :

Yes..I understand.

Customer: And a personality transplant..
Dr. Levang :

As to the apologizing and so forth...yes...you know how to do it...and perhaps it is like the binge eating...you stay on track until a point..and then you sabatoge yourself!

Dr. Levang :

LOL as to the personality transplant.

Dr. Levang :

I'm glad you have some humor in you....we all need it!!!

Dr. Levang :

The thing is...we are all learning and growing...we never quite stop.

Dr. Levang :

So..you can learn some new ways of being and make some changes in that blueprint of yours.

Customer: I tell my resident that we are not getting older but new every day..Emily Dickenson I think
Dr. Levang :

Aha...yes....right you are about getting new.

Dr. Levang :

Well...today is Canada Day...it's an important holiday and may be you could see this as an important day for you too...a day in which you learned a whole lot more about yourself and why you have seen the world the way you have. Maybe from today on you can accept that you are giver and so is your mother and brother...and you can be okay with that. Maybe you can accept that you need that trip to the walk in clinic. Maybe you can accept that work will have its up and downs and you need to be more transparent.

Dr. Levang :

There can be a lot of new possibilities in this new Canada Day...

Dr. Levang :

How about that?

Dr. Levang :

We all have blueprints...and none of them is perfect.

Dr. Levang :

I will say goodbye now. If you should ever want to chat again, please ask for me by name and I will be notified.

Dr. Levang :

It has been a pleasure - and privilege - to work with you today!

Customer: OK and thanks again
Customer: Bye
Dr. Levang :

You are very welcome!

Dr. Levang :

Have an enjoyable BBQ!

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist