Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

my 19 year old son told me he is having anxiety problems and

my 19 year old son told me he is having anxiety problems and wants to talk to someone. He looks in his closet at night to make sure no one is in there, anxiuos about going on a boat wednesday even though he likes going on boats, says he is tired of being nervous all the time. what should I do

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this issue with your son.

Bill :

If your son is experiencing intense anxiety with what sounds to be some paranoid ideas a consultation with a mental health professional is indicated.

Bill :

These symptoms could be related to an anxiety disorder, depression or something more serious.

Bill :

Ideally, if he can be evaluated by a Adolescent Psychiatrist that would be ideal.

Bill :

I am attaching some helpful information for you to review:

Bill :

If you have a Family Doctor - I would first contact him/her to seek a referral for a Psychiatrist to evaluate this.

Bill :

IF you need me to help you locate someone, I am happy to do so, simply respond with your city, state and Zip Code and I will be most happy to identify resources for you.

Bill :

Best, Bill