Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Id like to ask a psychiatrist a question: I was on trileptal

Customer Question

I'd like to ask a psychiatrist a question:

I was on trileptal and it pooped out on me after 5 months...If I stay off of it, how long before it will start working for me again to ease my anxiety?

Also, I'm on vistaril now for anxiety...Does vistaril develop tolerance as well? If so, when?

Lastly, does melatonin help with anxiety...

Please advise...

Thank you...

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, if you have developed resistance / tolerance against trileptal , then it is unlikely that it will produce the same anti anxiety effects that it used to produce earlier, so even if you stay off it for say 4-6 weeks , and then restart on it but you will find that the drug is not the same as it used to be.

Dr. Kaushik :

So, it is wise to move on to another drug instead of making a domed attempt to reap benefits from trileptal all over again as it seems end of road for this drug.

Dr. Kaushik :

Now as far as vistaril is concerned it is basically an anti histaminic drug used primarily for treating allergies but yes it does havea mild anxiety effect ,which somehow will not cater to your demands to render you totally symptom free..

Dr. Kaushik :

And yes this drug too develops tolerance as all the other drugs do..

Dr. Kaushik :

Yes melatonin also helps with mild intensity anxiety..

Dr. Kaushik :

You see both vistaril and melatonin help only with mild anxiety , but are ineffective for moderate to severe anxiety .

Dr. Kaushik :

So, if you have mild anxiety , only then you shall use any one of them or both of them as a combination and yes both of them can develop tolerance after prolonged use.

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. K., I asked you a few questions and you only answered one of them...

Would you please address my other concerns...?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

am i less likely to develop tolerance to vistaril than a benzo?

Yes you are less likely to develop toleance to vistaril than a benzodiazepine , also less likely toi get dependence on the drug.

Regards..