Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I hope you can give me some advice as how best I can help my

I hope you can give me some advice as how best I can help my 85 year old mother who is extremely distressed. Some three years ago she found out that my father had been unfaithful to her.
She re-examined every aspect of her life in light of this knowledge, re-focusing on suspicions she had dismissed at the time as well as his lack of empathy and devotion to her. Their relationship became very stormy, often having three of more huge arguments a day which sometimes lead to pushing and shoving.

Her doctor referred her to a physiatrist who put her on anxiety medication. We also arranged for her to see a psychologist and she did have about six sessions before she cancelled because she felt it was not helping her. Since then she has had a follow appointment with the physiatrist and her medication increased. She was also tested for dementia.

My mother has a number of medical problems including diabetes and arthritis. She suffers a lot of pain for which she has been prescribed steroids, narcotic patches and endone.

Three months ago we put dad into a nursing home. He was showing early stages of dementia but really the situation at home was untenable.

My mother is totally consumed by this matter, thinks about it constantly and comes up with new suppositions. She is often angry and overwhelmed, cannot find much joy in life and says that her life has been pointless.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Kaushik :

Hi there,

Dr. Kaushik :

Welcome to Just answer !

Dr. Kaushik :

Well, i value and understand your concerns about your grandmother's condition , and from what you have narrated it seems like she is suffering from Dementia and Depression both right now.

Dr. Kaushik :

You see her advancing age is the possible reason for ther Dementia and let me explain to you that Dementia is a slow progressive deteriorating illness which is more than a single entity but a goup of conditions clustered together which include depression , anxiety , agitation , mood swings , rage and stubborn attitude all included into one.

Dr. Kaushik :

Also, this condition will become increasingly taxing on the caregivers having to put up with the illness manifestations..

Dr. Kaushik :

So, the best thing that we can do is to slow down the process of her illness is to place her on a mix of follwoing drugs which wil ensure

Dr. Kaushik :

slowing of the progression of illness...

Dr. Kaushik :

and also calming her down and make her more reasonable with her ever so increasing demands..

Dr. Kaushik :

The drugs are as follows..

Dr. Kaushik :

1) Aricept ( Donepezil ) at dose of 5 mg to start with and then raising the dose to 10 mg after a span of weeks and maintaining on this dose ..

Dr. Kaushik :

2) Namenda ( memantine ) at dose of 20 mg / day to be started at 5 mg / day for 2 weeks followed by 10 mg / day for another two weeks and then progressing to 20 mg / day and maintain on it.

Dr. Kaushik :

3) Lexapro ( escitalopram ) at dose of 5 mg / day in morning dose only ..

Dr. Kaushik :

4) Continue on the anti anxiety drugs as she is on right now ..

Dr. Kaushik :

You see aricept and Namenda are the chief drugs sed for Dementia

Dr. Kaushik :

and lexaro is a an anti depressant used for depression and anxiety ..

Dr. Kaushik :

This drug regime shall be discussed with her doctor and then she to be started on this ..

Dr. Kaushik :

You shall see her melow down and become more tolernat towards others and less demanding within 2- 3 weeks of starting these drugs ..

Dr. Kaushik :

is this clear ...

Dr. Kaushik :

i hope this helps..

Dr. Kaushik :

This will make her to rejuvenate and refresh herself and also make her less angry and overwhelmed and more easy going as a person, which is essential for her caregivers to continue to invest their energy in offering her their best service as her wellwishers ..

Dr. Kaushik :

do you have any other query..

Dr. Kaushik :

If you have no other query and if you are satisfied with the answer kindly please press the ACCEPT button so that i can be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik :

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik :

Wish you all the best..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has been established that my mother does not have dementia but yes, she is certainly depressed. Her doctors think she is coming to terms with what happened decades ago but that is because she tells them she is getting better. I see a different side - she can't seem to move on is as bad as she was when she first found out. She has been driving everyone mad going over and over this for such a long time that if difficult not to loose patience with her. Could she be suffering from something like what Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and what sort of treatment would you recommend?

well has she been behaving like this ever since the stressful event took place in her life or is this a new development which has taken place ..

Because to diagnose her with PTSD , that is post traumatic stress disorder , there is a criteria to fulfill..

i will get back to you once you reply ..