Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych

Hello, Can you please help me with a condition in have.

Can you please help me with a condition in have. I have talked about it to anyone before but I have had this condition for about ten years now and I can not shake it.
I constantly day dream about people trying to touch me and insult me as well as attack me. All though I know it is not actually happening I feel compelled to react and physically lash out and/or verbally abuse the character in my mind out loud to win the confrontation going on in my mind. At it's worst this can go on for the enter day in effect, with multiple character being dealt with simultaneously and one after the other. It's effecting my ability to interact with others.

Can you let me know what the condition is please? And if I can treat it myself? Thank you for your time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.

Doctor Rao :

Hi Are you online?

Customer:

hello, how are you going

Customer:

do you know what i have please

Doctor Rao :

hi

Doctor Rao :

Can i ask few more question..I think i have an opinion but want to clarify few issues

Customer:

yes of course

Doctor Rao :

ok

Doctor Rao :

do you have other symptoms like repeated checking the locks,doors..cleaning the house repeatedly etc

Doctor Rao :

are you a perfectionist n some aspects?

Customer:

no

Customer:

can be a little

Doctor Rao :

do you feel that people are talking behind your back,talking about you etc

Customer:

yes a bit

Doctor Rao :

when you mentioned you feel people are trying to touch, are you talking about the images of people you saw in the brain

Customer:

yes a lot actually

Doctor Rao :

Lastly, You know that this can be irrational but not able to stop..Is this correct

Customer:

i feel like i am being attacked by these day dreams

Doctor Rao :

ok

Customer:

yes i can not stop it

Customer:

if i have a good period it cames back with more frequency

Doctor Rao :

ok.Please note that my impression is based on our discussion and my opinion only..it is not an confirmed diagnosis as it is difficult to diagnose with out actual assessment..I hope you can understand

Customer:

yes the images try to touch me to stir me up

Doctor Rao :

I think the most probable diagnosis based on my experience is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I will tell briefly why I think this is a possibility.

Doctor Rao :

A textbook definition of an obsession is an unwanted intrusive thought, doubt, image or urge that repeatedly enters a person’s mind. Obsessions are distressing and ego-dystonic (This means distressing to the person) but are acknowledged as originating in the person’s mind and as being unreasonable or excessive.

Customer:

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX usually is the treatment please.

Doctor Rao :

Obsessions are thoughts that recur and persist despite efforts to ignore or confront them.[9] People with OCD frequently perform tasks, or compulsions to seek relief from obsession-related anxiety.

Doctor Rao :

Now coming tot he treatment

Doctor Rao :

First, t is important to have an assessment from a Psychiatrist (preferably) or Psychologist to confirm the diagnosis..Because it is important to rule out some other causes

Customer:

yes when i was younger i had a do things so my mother would not get hurt. like jump the waves on the beach

Customer:

now i have to do things so my future children will not get hurt

Doctor Rao :

OK.Now it seems even more possibility the diagnosis as i have seen some patients who would avoid the cracks on the pavement to avoid her mother get hurt

Doctor Rao :

behavioral therapy (BT), cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and medications should be regarded as first-line treatments for OCD

Customer:

yes, stuff like that all the time

Doctor Rao :

The commonly used medications are Clomipramine and SSRI as thefirst choice.

Customer:

can it go away

Doctor Rao :

her obsessive thinking was "a step on the crack break mothers back"..so she has to avoid all the cracks

Doctor Rao :

yes..with treatment..

Doctor Rao :

The best results are witha combination os psychological therapy and medication.

Doctor Rao :

Behavioral therapy

The specific technique used in BT/CBT is called exposure and response prevention (also known as "exposure and response prevention") or ERP; this involves gradually learning to tolerate the anxiety associated with not performing the ritual behavior. At first, for example, someone might touch something only very mildly "contaminated" (such as a tissue that has been touched by another tissue that has been touched by the end of a toothpick that has touched a book that came from a "contaminated" location, such as a school.) That is the "exposure". The "ritual prevention" is not washing. Another example might be leaving the house and checking the lock only once (exposure) without going back and checking again (ritual prevention). The person fairly quickly habituates to the anxiety-producing situation and discovers that their anxiety level has dropped considerably; they can then progress to touching something more "contaminated" or not checking the lock at all—again, without performing the ritual behavior of washing or checking.

Doctor Rao :

If there is problem in accessing psychological therapy due to time constraints r resource constraints please go through the following self help book

Overcoming Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder [Paperback]

David Veale (Author), Rob Willson

Doctor Rao :

Hi have you got my messages

Doctor Rao :

I hope you find the answer helpful

Doctor Rao :

Hi The above example i wrote in Behavioural therapy is an example only and it has to be different format to your symptoms

Doctor Rao :

Please do ot hesitate to ask for more information if required at this stage

Doctor Rao :

Hi,Are you online?

Customer:

hello yes that is very helpful thankyou very much

Doctor Rao :

OK.No problem.I wish you all the best. Please provide positive feedback if you have a minute. Thank you

Doctor Rao :

I am logging off if thats ok

Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych