Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

i have been prescribed xanax 2mgXR for the last five years.

Customer Question

i have been prescribed xanax 2mgXR for the last five years. now my doctor is in the process of weaning me off the xanax. the withdrawals are horrible and almost unbearable. i want off this drug so im following all the doctor has told me to do. is there a better way to get off this drug without suffering these withdrawals? my daughter was prescribed ativan for 2 weeks instead of xanax and then stopped the ativan with no problem. is this an option? please help me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this withdrawal reaction.

Bill :

I want you to continue to follow your Doctors direction to wean off Xanax before you consider something else .....like Ativan.

Bill :

If you medication is being prescribed by a GP or family doctor, it is time to consider being evaluated by a Board Certified Psychiatrist for comprehensive Assessment and recommendations for ongoing medication therapy.

Bill :

Xanax is an addictive Benzodiazapine and there are other alternatives that can be considered, however, I again stress the importance of having the proper Expert in evaluating this.........A Board Certified Psychiatrist. This way you will have the most competent opinion on what is best for you.

Bill :

Other alternatives to address your anxiety are addressed here:

Bill :

I trust that this has helped. If you wish to continue the conversation , please reply.

Bill :

Otherwise, I wish you the very best.

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

I APPRECIATE YOUR POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I CAN BE CREDITED FOR MY TIME.

Bill :

Thank you - best of health and wellness!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
your answer was much appreciated. i rate your service excellent!
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Thank you and have the best possible day!.

Bill