Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice

I need to get rx for continuation of adhd meds

Customer Question

Recently moved to Houston and I need to get rx for continuation for adhd medication. How can I do that discreetly and without appearing in medical files? Am I able to do a consult online of on the phone to get an rx?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Kappler :

Thank you for choosing this website for an answer concerning continued ADHD medication and your medical record.

Dr.Kappler :

I understand you just moved to Houston and you would like to continue your your ADHD medication without it appearing in your medical files. All doctors in the United States must follow something called HIPPA regulations. These regulations govern what constitutes a medical record and how a doctor must document his treatment of the patient

Dr.Kappler :

.This would prevent him from excluding a diagnosis like ADHD in the medical record. So that standpoint if you contacted a doctor in the United States he will have the medical records that show that you have attention deficit disorder

Dr.Kappler :

I'm not entirely sure of the nature of your concern and if you could be a little bit more explicit about what you're afraid of I may be able to help you. If your fear is that your employer or future employer may find out your attention and concentration problems that may be one thing that can easily be dealt with.

Dr.Kappler :

You may consider going to a separate Dr. just for attention and concentration problems and medication. That way he has a separate medical record that indicates this diagnosis and the medication for it. I have had clients who have contacted doctors outside of the United States for prescriptions including psychostimulants. I would not recommend this route since the doctor has not had a chance to examine you and if you obtain the medication online you never know if you're getting the rights medication.

Dr.Kappler :

There is a thriving pseudo-drug business out of Third World countries that produce medications that look like the real ones that are actually composed many different chemicals some harmful and you never know which are getting.

Dr.Kappler :

Unfortunately psychostimulants are only used for attention and concentration problems. It would not be a good idea for you to tell a physician that you have narcolepsy when you don't.

Dr.Kappler :

What I would recommend since you're an adult and ADHD medication does not work well with adults that you see a psychologist about learning to deal with your attention and concentration problems behaviorally. I have added ADHD clinic for 20 years and that was always a recommendation I made for adults. Adults can understand limitations and benefits of this disorder. They can learn how to prioritize, make accurate estimates of the amount of time it takes to complete a task and learn tricks to enable them to maintain their concentration and attention without the use of medication.

Dr.Kappler :

I see that you're standing by so I'm very interested in your response to my answer. As I said before if you could be more specific about your concern I may be able to help further.

Customer :
Customer :

Of course there is some record as I went to a psychiatrist and to counseling for some time and now just need medication monitoring.I paid out of pocket for these services. Focalin has and does make a huge difference in my life in addition to the CBT techniques and other things I learned and still continue to practice. I don't want to go through all of that again and prefer to be not in major medical file. If one ever needs to private insurance because they start their own business or etc, this diagnosis does cause issues.

Customer :

I am well aware of HIPPA because of prior education to become an LPC and I work in HR.I don't feel like you have given me an answer to my question. I also see a biased toward medication for adults with this disorder and that is concerning. I did not get diagnosed until I was 32 and with knowledge and medications since diagnosis my life has become even better.

Customer :
Customer :

I will await your response before I decide my satisfaction. I am a very successful business women and did well in school and had/have many friends, but this explains why I felt different or odd most of my younger life. It also explains relationship issues I had as I knew answers quickly and jumped in etc etc. I was married almost 10 yrs before I decided I wanted a divorce. This was the time I was diagnosed and therapy as well as medication has greatly enhanced my life and ability to be calm.

Dr.Kappler :

I have no bias towards medication I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. One thing you may consider would be contacting your previous psychiatrist to see if they can continue prescribing for you. This may be difficult since I believe that medication requires a triple prescription. and means that both the insurance company and pharmacy must keep a record of it. Have you tried Strattera, the non stimulant ADHD medication that does not need such careful record keeping? My second question is that you already have a prescribing physician using this diagnosis in his medical records. Are you concerned that there would be two medical records that would have the same diagnosis? It seems like the damage is already done since you have gotten the medication unless there is more to this question. In terms of getting an answer to your question I have given you all the different possibilities that I have run into and their limitations as well as their potential strengths. Since you have learned much about the diagnosis and the behavioral component and still plan to use medication in treatment you will need to see a physician to have medication prescribed and once that information is submitted to your insurance company as it already has a diagnosis of ADHD is already in your insurance file. My question then if that since it is already in your file any attempts at hiding it would be futile. I await your response