Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

is there free counselling at all for people suffering post

is there free counselling at all for people suffering post traumatic stress from the loss of a loved one. i had a friend who sought and received free counselling for abuse she experienced at a young age and she suggested i check to see if the same would apply in my situation.

Dr.Kappler :

Thank you for choosing this website and I'm sorry for your loss.

Dr.Kappler :

I understand for that you have a friend who received some free counseling for abuse she experienced as a young age. You're looking for some treatment for posttraumatic stress to the loss of a loved one.

Dr.Kappler :

There is a free counseling as part of victims assistance for people who have been abused and the abuser has been convicted of the crime. This is part of victims assistance program funded by fines levied against offenders. For the money is for able to be used for psychotherapy. I'm not sure if this is the case with your friend but it sounds like it. Let me know if that's not the situation

Dr.Kappler :

There are grief counselors available through hospice and there usually are groups that are offered for free through the same organization. Since there's no crime involved in the death of someone victims assistance would not apply. There are a number of support groups available on the web it would be glad to give you those sites as well as the hospice website. I see her standing by so I will await your reply to my answer and if you need the specific referrals I'll be glad to give to you. Also if you could describe your situation and why you think you're dealing with posttraumatic stress rather than the normal grieving process I might be able to provide you with a more accurate referral.

Customer:

i would love any referral to hospice counselling or support groups. i don't know if what i'm dealing with is post traumatic as opposed to normal grieving.

Dr.Kappler :

Here is hospice website: http://www.hospicefoundation.org/

Dr.Kappler :

here is a list of online grief support groups:

Customer:

ok, thank you. do these methods of counselling and talking to others work as well for a person who suffered loss quite a few years ago. my brother died in 2003, and i spent a long time denying my emotional difficulties.

Dr.Kappler :

Grief is a natural reaction to loss. Whether you lose a beloved person, animal, place, object, or valued way of life (such as your job, marriage, or good health), you will probably experience some grief. It's often worse when the loss is traumatic, sudden, or unexpected, because there is little or no chance to prepare for it or say good-bye. If you have post-tramatic stress disorder (PTSD) and have recently lost a loved one, you may have symptoms for a longer time than if you hadn't lost a loved one. Events that can cause grief include:

• Death of a loved one.

• Divorce or the end of an important relationship.

• Loss of your job or retirement.

• Severe illness or a physical disability.

• Loss of a pet.

• Moving to another home.

• Traumatic experiences, such as seeing combat, sexual assault, or living through a natural disaster, such as an earthquake.

Everyone grieves in a different way. There is no normal and expected period of time for grieving. It may take as long as 18 to 24 months to accept the death of a loved one. It can take much longer when the death or loss is traumatic or unexpected. How long you grieve can depend on how much the loss meant to you and how prepared you were for the loss. You may experience any of the following: Physical reactions, including being short of breath, being very tired, and feeling restless, Emotional reactions, including shock, fear, anxiety, guilt, and anger, Social reactions, including eating more or less than normal, avoiding other people, and overreacting to others, Spiritual reactions, including wondering why pain and suffering exist and why the loss happened to you. You also may be confused and have a hard time making decisions. You may blame yourself or others for the loss. During the grieving process, you can help yourself by doing the following things. First you need to take care of your health. It is also important to let others help you. Don't forget to exercise because it releases stress. Joining a support group may help you see you are not alone. Remember to stay in touch with your support system. Most importantly remember the loved one and express how you feel. Make sure you get enough rest. Don't give yourself a timetable for getting over it. You may need to talk to a counselor or other professional.

Dr.Kappler :

Having a delayed grief reaction is very likely in your situation but it is still a good time to come to terms with it.

Customer:

thank you