Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
67112189

wHAT MEDICATIONS ARE USED FOR SOMATIC DELUSIONS?

Doctor Rao :

Hi, If the somatic Delusions are an isolated symptom then the treatment depends on the severity and how they are effecting the person.

Doctor Rao :

However if the somatic delusions are part of an Depressive illness (commonly occurs) the the treatment depends on the severity of depressive symptoms. The treatment should be aimed at both depressive symptoms and somatic delusions. The common treatment options are SSRI along with a small dose of an atypical anti psychotic medication. If an antidepressant seemed to cause confusion, then the options are to consider another antidepressant OR to try an anti psychotic medication with some mood stabilizing property. The common ones that can be considered due to the age are Quetiapine low dose or Aripiprazole.However this depend son any other medical problems and should be discussed with the Doctor. I hope you find the answer helpful. please do not hesitate to ask me if you require more information.Thank you