Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Is it possiblethat if pristiq and effexor have not worked for

Customer Question

Is it possiblethat if pristiq and effexor have not worked for my depression,switching to somethin in the celexa or prozac realm might help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help you with this.

Bill :

The simple answer to your question is: YES

Bill :

The medications you are currently taking are in a class called SNRI'S

Bill :

SNRI antidepressants help relieve the symptoms of depression and anxiety.

The three main neurotransmitters (or neuromodulators) involved indepression are dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin (also known as 5-HT). While their effect on mood is not completely clear, we do know that modulating these brain chemicals produces an antidepressant effect.

Initially, drugs specifically modulating serotonin (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, SSRIs) were developed, but now an additional class of medications that affect both serotonin and norepinephrine are common. These antidepressants are known as serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).

Depression drugs included in the SNRI antidepressants class include:

Bill :

The others you mention are in the SSRI class which and the medications relate differently to the brain.. as described above.

Bill :

That said, There is no evidence to suggest that the SSRI's vs SNRI'S are better in treating depression, however, as you most likely know- it is a trial and error process and something worth discussing with your doctor if you are not feeling well on the current medications.

Bill :

Sometimes medications run their metabolic course and change is necessary.

Bill :

I certainly would discuss this with your doctor and see no reason why a change would not be indicated.

Bill :

Make sure that you do not discontinue use of current medication as transition to other antidepressants requires medical oversight and advice to avoid adverse withdrawal reactions.

Bill :

Typically, medications that you are taking are slowly weaned off while new ones are added and slowly increased.

Bill :

For complete information on this- see:

Bill :

IF you have related questions, please CLICK CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION and I will be happy to respond.

Bill :

Otherwise, I APPRECIATE YOUR POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME.

Bill :

THANKS, Bill