Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Hi I have suffered from complex chronic PTSD for 10 years,

Hi

I have suffered from complex chronic PTSD for 10 years, and have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

Could you please inform me if thyroid abnormalities can be caused by chronic PTSD.

I have no genetic link which would predispose me.

Thank you

Maria
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about your situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are right, PTSD can increase the risk factors of different medical conditions including thyroid diseases.

Customer:

Can I have more detailed research of this answer please

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sorry i cannot provide any specific research on it. i could try to look for it, but wanted to answer your question. Since it is a medical problem, you need to get adequate multidisciplinary support, including psychological and medical, since both interact and affect each other, then there is no way to take good care of your physical health without doing the same with emotions and psychological experience. A medical doctor would be able to answer any medical questions on this regard.

Customer:

Please could you look for it and get in touch with me another time,

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I will do my best and see what I find.

Customer:

Thank you so much.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I will get back to you with what I find about it. Thank you and bye for now.

Customer:

Thank you again. I need to know if there is a definitive link in order to prove a material change for the deterioration in my condition PTSD.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am looking for it. This is what I have found so far.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

1. HYPOTHALAMIC PITUITARY THYROID AXIS

Biological studies of traumatic stress in humans to date have focused mainly on the responses of the sympathetic-adrenal medullary axis and catecholamines and the hypothalamicpituitary adrenal axis and cortisol. Less attention has been given to the hypothalamic pituitary thyroid axis, though the evidence of an important relationship between traumatic stress and thyroid function has a long history.28 The original clinical report of hyperthyroidism by Parry in 1825 described the onset of symptoms in a woman 4 months after a terrifying experience in which she was accidentally thrown down the stairs in a wheelchair. In 1927, Bram reported that a clear history of traumatic stress was found in 85% of more than 3000 cases of thyrotoxicosis. The most striking common feature associated with the stressful experiences appeared to be extreme fear concerning biologic survival. Recent research continues to support the observation that more patients with hyperthyroidism give a history of traumatic stress than do members of a control population. Serum Thyroid Studies in Combat-Related PTSD In a series of thyroid studies, Mason and colleagues reported an unusual thyroid profile in Vietnam veterans with combat-related PTSD compared with controls. These findings were reported in four groups of 24 (N=96) Vietnam combat veterans.29 The T3 elevations were replicated in a group of Israeli combat veterans (n=11)30 and a group of World War II combat veterans (n=12)31 with PTSD. Mason and colleagues hypothesized that since about 80% of the body's supply of T3 is produced by peripheral conversion of free T4 to T3, the T3 elevations found in these combat veterans might reflect increased peripheral conversion. The conversion of T4 to T3 can be augmented by catecholamines, which consistently have been found to be elevated in this population. The T3 elevations observed did not for the most part exceed the "normal range," as specified for the diagnosis of glandular disease in the field of clinical endocrinology, but evidence supports the observation that relatively modest changes in thyroid hormone levels may have important clinical significance in relation to psychiatric disorders.

Clinical Significance of T3 Elevations in Combat-Related PTSD

Many symptoms of hyperthyroidism are similar to hyperarousal symptoms observed in PTSD; these include irritability, difficulty sleeping, difficulty concentrating, anger outbursts, and exaggerated startle. Since T3 is two to four times more biologically active than T4, it is not surprising that T3 elevations have been linked to PTSD symptoms, specifically hyperarousal symptoms, in combat veterans. T3 has also been found to be positively correlated with novelty seeking measured by the Cloninger Tridimensional Personality Questionnaire.

Thyrotropin-Releasing Hormone Challenge Studies In a study comparing combat veterans with PTSD, depressed patients and controls, Kosten and colleagues reported blunted thyrotropin (TSH) responses to thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) infusion in 67% of the depressed patients, 27% of the PTSD patients and 28% of the control subjects. Rather than blunting, 36% of the PTSD patients and only 10% of the control and depressed patients had augmented TSH responses, further suggesting alterations in the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis in this population.

Summary of Thyroid Findings in PTSD

There is strong evidence indicating that veterans with PTSD from combat stress show altered thyroid profiles, specifically elevations of T3, which appear to be related to PTSD symptoms, especially hyper arousal

Pasted from <https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/ptsd-and-hyperthyroidism.11371/>

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is the book I would recommend containing concrete official information related to this subject:
The Thyroid Axis and Psychiatric Illness
By Russell T. Joffe
It is available here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Thyroid-Axis-Psychiatric-Illness/dp/0880483644

Customer:

Thank you Rafael,

Customer:

I will look into the book

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Take good care and good luck.

Customer:

Thank you,

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Bye.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please do not forget to rate support in order for the chat session to be closed. Thank you!

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach