Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

What constitutes fear of success and why would anyone fear

Customer Question

What constitutes fear of success and why would anyone fear succuess?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help with this.

Bill :

Success Anxiety is based in fear and panic and effects millions of people world wide at varying degrees.

Bill :

It, like other anxiety disorders can be quite debilitating for those who are fearful of achievement or success. This has nothing to do with a persons I.Q. or desire. It is a psychological and neurochemical issues that is treatable with a variety of cognitive behavioral therapy approaches and in many cases with medication.

Bill :

It’s normal to worry and feel tense or scared when under pressure or facing a stressful situation. Anxiety is the body’s natural response to danger, an automatic alarm that goes off when you feel threatened.

In moderation, anxiety isn’t always a bad thing. In fact, anxiety can help you stay alert and focused, spur you to action, and motivate you to solve problems. But when anxiety is constant or overwhelming, when it interferes with your relationships and activities, it stops being functional—that’s when you’ve crossed the line from normal, productive anxiety into the territory of anxiety disorders.

Bill :

People who have success anxiety experiencing the constant and overwhelming sensations as related above which inhibit their ability to achieve or accomplish tasks or goals as they desire.

Bill :

The following link addresses why some people cannot handle success:

Bill :

As you will see in the article:

Bill :

"People are driven to feel that they can predict and control their outcomes," said co-researcher Jason Plaks, a social psychologist at the University of Toronto. "So when their performance turns out to violate their predictions, this can be unnerving—even if the outcome is, objectively speaking, good news."

Bill :

The treatment for Success Anxiety and other related anxiety is address in depth at the following link:

Bill :

I trust that this has served to answer your question. You can "Continue the conversation" if you have follow up related to this.

Bill :

Otherwise, I wish you the very best.

Bill :

I APPRECIATE YOUR POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

Bill :

Thanks, Bill