Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych
67112189

my daughter is 15, weights aboutt 105, and about 4 weeks ago put on Latuda 40 mg. now i

my daughter is 15, weights aboutt 105, and about 4 weeks ago put on Latuda 40 mg. now is taking 80 mgs. for adhd, rad, ptsd with slight bipolar. Is this medication to hight dose for her?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Is she on any other medications now ( I got the point of what she was on but need to know any other current medication). And also just to confirm what is rad meant? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she is not on any other medication at this time but the Latuda.
Also, RAD is reactive attachment disorder, we adopted her at 2 years old. And we had to place her in a group home 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification.
The answer to your question is 80mg of Latuda(Lurasidone) is not high.The usual starting dose is 40 mg and can be increased stepwise up to 120 or 160 mg per day. I have to admit it is relatively new medication.However based on my theoritical knowledge and information a gathered it is helpful for Schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder.

However I don't think it is the first line of drug for PTSD or ADHD. There might be have benefits noted as for most of the drugs there would be some off license benefits and as the Doctors gain more experience they would be able to notice and use for the symptoms. I have to be honest and admit I don't have have any personal knowledge of using this medication in my patients.

For RAD I don't think one would depend on medications.The psychological approach is more suitable.

I hope she is getting better now. I just want to you to know that you are doing what you can in her best interest and finding pro actively the treatment options.It is not always easy.

I wish you and her all the best.

Thank you.
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych