Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I have just learned that I am abinge eater, I just started

I have just learned that I am abinge eater, I just started having minor complications with my blood pressure. I do not want these issues to get worse. I do not feel I have what it takes to be on a diet, but it is obvious i need help with this issue. any suggestions?
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
It sounds like you may have eating problems such as binge eating.
It's important for you to start working with a psychotherapist specializing in eating disorders. Perhaps, you also may have anxiety or depression.

Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for eating and mood problems.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Eating disorder. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Eating problems. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Additionally, if you prefer, you may attend a support group for women with eating problems in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for women with eating problems, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for men. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/find_support_group) - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including eating problems.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.

I hope you get well with all available help.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,