Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

We are a family of 6 -- my wife and I along with our 4 children,

We are a family of 6 -- my wife and I along with our 4 children, all girls, ages 18,15,12, and 9. In reading thru the definitions of Antisocial Personality, my 12 year is almost dead on. This has been going on for most of her youth, and I am at a place where we need more help than what we currently are getting. Specifically, we need someone or some group that she (or we ) can participate in whereby we address destructive behavoir which occurs whenever someone makes her mad, or when she gets frustrated or angry. Live in Houston, Texas and would welcome any comments or suggestions.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rossi :

Dr. Rossi :

What are some of the destructive behaviors? Children are generally diagnosed w/ ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) or Conduct Disorder rather than Antisocial Personality disorder which, is a diagnosis reserved for adults.

Dr. Rossi :

Dr. Rossi :

What are some of the destructive behaviors? Children and Teens are generally given diaganosis of ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) or Conduct Disorder. Antisocial personality disorder is a condition assigned to adults.

Dr. Rossi :

Are you inquiring about the option of psychotherapy/counseling or just a support group? If there are to be changes made by her, she would benefit from therapy.

Dr. Rossi :

For support groups - "

NAMI Metropolitan Houston provides education programs, peer support groups, and advocacy to enable families and consumers to become more effective self-advocates.
Address: P.O. Box 66270, Houston, TexasNNN-NN-NNNNbr/>Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Email: namimh@namimetrohouston.org
Web site: www.namimetrohouston.org

NAMI Metropolitan"

Dr. Rossi :

It may be most helpful to have her properly evaluated and then treated based that. She of course has to be willing to partake in this in either scenario- just going to support/educational groups or counseling.

Dr. Rossi :

If she is in fact willing to work on correcting her behaviors, it is best to use an in network clinician through your insurance.

Customer:

Dr Rossi -- some of the recent examples are as follows;

Customer:

Dr. Rossi -- some of the more recent examples are as follows:

Customer:

1) Last September -- went to a neighbor's house to play with their daughter. Neighbors weren't there, but she goes in the house anyway (that was not that unusual). Maid finds her and tells her to leave. Hannah apparently gets upset --no one really knows what happened -- but botXXXXX XXXXXne, the girl's computer is found at the bottom of the pool.

Customer:

2) Last April --- a teacher at Hannah

Customer:

2) Last April , a teacher at Hannah's school reprimands her. Hannah gets upset, and the next day throws the teacher's phone into the toilet.

Customer:

3) Yesterday, while at summer camp, Hannah gets upset with one of her cabin mates, so during the night she gets into her suitcase and tears up some pictures the girl had either brought from home or had taken while there.

Dr. Rossi :

Property destrction is one of the symptoms found in those w/ Conduct Disorder

Dr. Rossi :

It is a good idea to have her work w. someone while she's still young.

Dr. Rossi :

There may be even programs offered by your local DJJ (dep. of juvenile justice) i.e. therapeutic camps www.tjjd.texas.gov/

Dr. Rossi :

CBT (cognitive behavioral thereapy) and Behavioral Modification are therapeutic in working with the sort of behaviors you're describing

Customer:

There are other situations that I could mention, but these are the more acute. She has not been violent with other children or her sisters, and many (or rather, most) days she is fairly mainstream. But the botXXXXX XXXXXne is, she does NOT know how to relate to others, she can have these act outs which just skyline her big time, and she still does not know how to properly handle frustration when faced with adversity, anger, embarrassment. You mention in your comments that property destruction is one of the symptoms of Conduct Disorder --- that's definately an issue here --- so the next question is, do you know people or places in the Houston area where we can get this help? She does have counseling at her school, and they are aware of her issues, but I'm sensing that they may not be as specialized in Conduct disorder as what is required here.

Dr. Rossi :

Do you have insurance that she's covered under?

Dr. Rossi :

If you're not concerned about using insurance or in network clinician, you may find the nearest center http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mhservices-search/ that serves children. At these centers, individuals can get evaluations, counseling, and the often have more intense programs where a counselor can work w/ her at home or at school.

Dr. Rossi :

These centers at times also provide mobile crisis intervention at the location of the client

Dr. Rossi :

Or, if your work has EAP (employee assistance benefits), she may be eligible for some free counseling sessions. I would suggest the community mental health center since they provide a multidisciplinary treatment approach.

Dr. Rossi :

Not sure if you're still online. Feel free to reply.

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. ---- here at work so I'm having to juggle different things. We do have insurance, so I will inquire to find out if there is someone that deals with children and conduct disorder. I did want to get your opinion as to the possibility of success with this. While Hannah does not seem to be as extreme as some of the children that suffer from this, it is still very difficult to deal with, and I'm just wanting to know if, in your experience, kids like this can be successfully worked with.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

Yes- children can be treated with this successfully. Often the therapy in addition to individual counseling may involve family therapy (where everyone participates) I suggested the community center because these centers usually provide a lot more than can be obtained at a private practice office such as IFI (intensive family intervention) and CSI (community support individual) that allow for counseling in the home or school as well at more frequent intervals.

It would be best to have her evaluated first. Besides conduct disorder traits, her behavior may be triggered by other things such as low frustration tolerance/lacking coping skills, attention seeking, etc.

Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt