Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

How much stillnox is required to put you to sleep two doses

How much stillnox is required to put you to sleep two doses 25mg?

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. I do have some patients that require 25 mg to get to sleep, but those are rare. So, yes, 25 mg can be used, but what is concerning is the medicine is not helping you get to and stay asleep at the standard doses. Zolpidem (the generic name) has been linked to tolerance, withdrawal, and even rebound insomnia with long-term use, but those risks go up when the dose is increased. It may be time to have your doctor tyr a different sleeping aid, siuch as Lunesta, Rozerem, or Restoril (although Restoril itself is also a benzodiazepine, like Valium). Other options include melatonin (over the counter), and off-label use of mirtazepine, trazodone, or quetiapine as sleep aids.
Dr_Anderson : So, for tonight, I'd say trying 25 mg is ok, but the next chance you get to talk to your doctor about a different option, I'd do so. Please let me know if you have any other questions - and sweet dreams!
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson : Greetings, please don't rate this until our time is done and you are satisfied that your question has been answered. The rating you just listed is considered a NEGATIVE rating!
Ok, let's try this. Are you able to see it and reply?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes i can thanks!
Ok, much better. I'll ask the FM's to close out the other thread so you do not get charged twice. (And PLEASE change the rating to something higher than negative).

Now, what other questions do you have? :)

I sent a message, and it looks like the FM's have closed out the other thread. :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great thank you. I have a very open relationship with my doctor and travel frequently to the US and UK. When i'm located in Singapore i work hours equivalent to the client time zone which is predominantly 3am finishing however i can never sleep beyond 7am local zone. So i average 4 hours per night. Your feedback is useful for further info i take Diazepam only as needed for pelvic floor dysfunction and generally only sleeping pills on long flight and to readjust to timezones. However I am always pumped on adrenalin sales deals keep me going so it seems the dosage doesnt quite work. The last time i had a 10 hour sleep was with two Stilnox and one Diazepam. Diazepam doesnt put me to sleep as when i take it it is generally for a week period to reduce muscle spasms. I did discuss with my doctor on Metatonin he said i could try and may work and could get over the counter. Really i don't want to rely on sleeping pills but my constant circadium clock change messes wilth my ability to sleep. My doctors advise was change jobs which is probably true! Just wanted to check if there is alternative options. I dont take sleeping pills every day in fact probably once or twice a week to ensure i do get rest and don't suffer withdrawls. My mind is too active while the body is too exhausted in short!
Ah, then since you are taking it on a sporadic basis rather than frequent, the occasional use of 2 zolpidem (total 25 mg) with or without the Valium is ok. Something to be careful of is zolpidem can give people weird dreams, and some of my patients have slept walked on it.

Melatonin would be reasonable to try because your circadian rhythm is so challenged by the demands of your job, and the travel. Rozerem, by the way, is a prescription sleep aid which mimics melatonin, which as you noted is over the counter. The advantage of melatonin over, say, Benadryl is there should be no "hangover" effects the latter is notorious for.

Your doctor is probably right about the job change, but it sounds like you really love the work. Thus, we'll just have to find a fix-around for those challenging nights!

Other alternatives include Lunesta, trazodone, Remeron, and Seroquel (although the latter may give you a hangover effect, too). All of them are prescription and non-habit forming.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great thanks. I have tried Benadryl which was after i knocked my head which worked extremely well but you're right terrible next day hangover effect. Really appreciate your advice it has been extremely informative thank you!
Quite welcome! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope these options work well for you!

Dr. Anderson