Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

how can I control strong sweet cravings, I think is an add

how can I control strong sweet cravings, I think is an addiction
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! I hope to be of some assistance to you! My first and most important piece of advice is to be sure that you have had a full physical to rule out any diabetes or other physical health problems that may be the cause of these cravings... and hopefully, you already have done that.

Heidi LPC :

Secondly, sometimes there is a chemical reaction that happens in the body when we eat carbohydrates or sugar that elevates the "feel good" chemicals in our bodies, and this increases our desire to eat these types of foods. An excerpt from Livestrong.com:

Psychological disorders such as depression may cause increased appetite and food cravings. According to JIN, conditions such as seasonal affective disorder, anxiety disorder, bulimia and binge eating disorder are associated with increased appetite and sugar cravings. Sugar cravings experienced by people with psychological disorders may stem from chemical reactions in the brain, since carbohydrate-based foods such as sugar may boost serotonin, a hormone known to elevate moods and instill calmness, reports JIN. In addition, people with bulimia or binge eating disorder often claim to experience sugar cravings during binge episodes. Once the underlying disorder is treated, sugar cravings often reduce.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/106163-causes-sugar-cravings/#ixzz1z2FFOOe0
Heidi LPC :

So, if there is an underlying reason for why your body is out of balance, talking with your doctor about it may help. Otherwise, once your diet is leaning more towards the carbs and sugar, it can take some work to get it back in balance, but it isn't impossible. Start by adding proteins, like cheese, meat, etc... and add more vegetables. Be sure to take a walk or do some type of exercise each day and get some sunlight to up your levels of vitamin D. Then, add fruits... but beware that even fruit has sugar and so do this after adding vegetables and protein.

Heidi LPC :

I hope you found this information to be somewhat helpful; please let me know if you have further questions or need any clarification or more information! I am happy to work with you until you feel your question has been answered! I will await your reply, and until then, take good care!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer Heidi, yes, I had all my medical tests, I don't have diabetes but I have a little depression and anxiety,I am going to try to eat more protein and stop sugars and see how I feel, I will take day by day, is difficult but I am going to try not to eat sugars. I am walking and doing exercises like three times a week and trying to walk more every day. Thank you, Susana
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.
Great to hear! Give this a try; it isn't easy to stop eating those comfort foods, but in moderation and with the addition of more protein, it can be fine! I hope you found this site helpful, and I wish you all the best! If I was helpful to you, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated... and have a wonderful day! Laughing
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor