Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

do you do meds

do you do meds

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

If you are looking for someone to prescribe you medicine on-line, that is not possible -- (not legal). Is there something else that I can help you with --a question about something you are experiencing?

Customer:

I have a medication question

Customer:

I just increased my zoloft from 50 mg to 100 mg ( after 4 days of being on 50) and I am feeling very agitated tody did I increase to quickly?

DrFee :

I am a Psychologist, not a Psychiatrist. From my experience with clients, I would say that was a very quick jump my clients tend to taper up much more slowly that that. Did your Psychiatrist tell you to do that? I will be happy to "opt-out" so you can speak with a Psychiatrist.

DrFee :

I'm going to opt out so you can speak with a Psychiatrist. If no one responds to you quickly, I'd suggest that you call your own Psychiatrist.

Customer:

How can I get a psychiatrist on just answer to answer my question??

DrFee :

I sent a personal message to a Psychiatrist to answer your question. In the future, write "For Psychiatrist only" in your subject line.

DrFee :

Hopefully you will hear from him soon.

Customer:

Oh thank you that was so kind of you. Shall I just wait here for a psychiatrist to come on line with me??

DrFee :

Yes, please wait for awhile. There is one online right now.

Customer:

great I'll just keep sitting here.....

Customer:

hello I am waiting for a psychiatrist to come on line to answer a question ???????

DrFee :

I'm sorry it's taking awhile.

Greetings! My colleague asked me to see if I may be of service. The experience you note of agitation with the increased dose is very common for persons taking Zoloft. Zoloft tends to be an activating antidepressant, so as the doses go up people often feel more revved, anxious, or irritable. Once the dose begins to kick in for their mood, those symptoms tend to go away.

However, if your feelings of agitation persist or worsen over the next few days, it may be a sign that the medication, at least at that dose, is too potent. In such a case, decreasing the dose to 75 mg (or even back to 50 mg) may be called for, with a slower increase in the dose.

So, for now, I'd keep an eye on these feelings of agitation and stay at the 100 mg. If the feelings worsen, talk to your doctor about decreasing the dose to 50 or 75 mg. If they go away, then you are in the clear!

Hope this helps! Please let me know if I may be of further service.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Anderson,
Thank you for your advice The anxiety is crushing would .5mg of Ativan help or 2mg of valium take the edge of the anxiety for today. I am not looking for ,ong term as I know they are both addictive
Greetings,

Yes, either option would work to alleviate the anxiety. The Ativan tends to work faster, but the Valium tends to last longer.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson