Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

Hello, can a person who takes Zoloft (150 mil), Levothyroine

Hello, can a person who takes Zoloft (150 mil), Levothyroine (50 mil), Bupropion (150 mil), Lithium (600 mil), Seroquel (200 mil) and Trazodone (50 mil) also take a supplement like Amoryn without complications? Thank you for your advise.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 4 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. First off, I'm sorry that your depression is still rampant, in spite of these medications! There is no controlled clinical research on Amoryn that I am aware of, so anything has to be taken with a grain of salt. Many herbals do have benefit in the treatment of depression or anxiety. Common examples include Calms forte and St. John's Wort (the latter of which I would not do given that you are taking Wellbutrin).
Dr_Anderson : Amoryn has a lot of ingredients which you can find in most multivirtamins, except it also has a few "extras", notably Hyperforin (the active ingredient in St. John's Wort) and 5-HTP. Both of these (as well as the Rosea also in it) can increase serotonin levels.
Dr_Anderson : Of course, unchecked serotonin surges can lead to mood instability, sich as a mixed or manic state, in patients with bipolar, so if you want to take this supplement I'd definitely let your doctor know you are going to try it.
Dr_Anderson : If you notice any symptoms of mania or a mixed mood, stopping it immediately and seeing your doctor ASAP would both be called for.
Dr_Anderson : I hope this helps to get you started! Please let me know if you have any questions, and please don't rate this until you are satisfied with the answer!
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson