Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

ASK SUZANNE, My husband has 3 brothers. He is the least successful

ASK SUZANNE, My husband has 3 brothers. He is the least successful of all of them. They have said Steve is successful because Judy pushes him. ((implying I don't push Anthony.)) Being around them all the time and hearing about their lives, I am reminded about how much we don't have in comparison. Going down the shore on weekends, we are around them all the time. I feel like I just need a break from his family and a break from him. Part of the reason why i'm staying home this weekend. i hate going down the shore. XXXXX XXXXXgs out with his friends, while i take really long walks with the baby and i'm gone alone during he day saturday and sunday with the baby while he's gone.
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Hi Jen,This doesn't sound like a very enjoyable vacation for the two of you. It put you right in the middle of the people who seem to make you miserable--either by things they say, or by your own comparisons between what they have and what you have.It sounds like, for the health of your marriage (and your own peace of mind) that the two of you need to get away on your own, and start building your own family memories. Putting yourself in the middle of his family for extended periods of time seems to always end up with you feeling bad, and you and Anthony fighting over what he hasn't accomplished. It seems, from your note yesterday, that things are really getting to the breaking point. It's time to try something totally different, because the way the two of you have been spending your free time with his family really doesn't seem to be working. Consider asking your husband to go away with just you and the baby next weekend. Something has to happen to break this cycle of hanging out with his family and feeling bad because they're so much better off than you. For future outings, find friends who are just starting out like you two are and are in a similar financial situation...In this economy, you two are certainly not the only ones struggling. Why make it worse by spending your free time with people who have money to burn? Spend it with people on your level, where there will be no competition--just an understanding that things have to be done economically.
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience: LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.