Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

ASK SUZANNE, I have 3 sister-in-laws. One of them is absolutely

ASK SUZANNE, I have 3 sister-in-laws. One of them is absolutely gorgeous. She is a perfect 10. Compared to her, I'm an 8. This bothers me because I want to be the prettiest one. any words of advice for this one?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  Suzanne replied 2 years ago.
No matter how hard we work and primp, there will always, always be someone who has a better body, better hair, etc.Some good ways to stop comparing yourself to others are: 1. Realize that taste and beauty is subjective, everyone has their own interpretation of it. It is totally possible that there are people who would look at the two of you side by side and think that you are the better looking person. 2. Realize that life is not a competition.3. Putting your efforts into being the best YOU that you can be, in looks and in other attributes as well, such as work ethic, trustworthiness, honesty, parenting,etc., will do the most to improve the quality of your life. Remind yourself that looks fade, but character lasts. There is so much more to you than just your looks...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess i can try to do that. It is hard though. between their success and their looks, i just always feel like i come up short.
Expert:  Suzanne replied 2 years ago.
Jen, The thing about making comparisions is just that there's no point to it--it doesn't change anything-- and the worst part is that it just keeps you focused on what you feel you don't have, rather than on what you DO have.. You have a great job, a beautiful baby, etc, etc,etc. Try going back to making a gratitude list each morning of at least 3 things that you are grateful for in your life. It will start your day off with a focus on the positive, rather than the negative.
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience: LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.